Strong fourth quarter leads Chippewa women to comeback road win over Miami (Ohio)

mg-1876

Senior guard Micaela Kelly interacts with teammates during CMU's women's basketball team win against Buffalo, 66-62, Jan. 30 in McGuirk Arena. 

At one point, it looked bleak. 

CMU faced a 15-point deficit with less than a minute to go in the third quarter. A layup cut the lead to 13 heading into the final stanza, but it was still not an ideal position for the Chippewas to be in after holding a double digit lead in the first quarter. 

Senior guard Micaela Kelly was dominant in the first three quarters, and her help woke up in the fourth. Sophomore guard Molly Davis and senior guard Maddy Watters contributed clutch buckets and Kelly continued to roll, allowing the Chippewas to climb out of a 13-point hole in the fourth quarter. 

Thanks to Kelly's 37 points, the Chippewas erased Miami (Ohio)'s double digit fourth quarter lead and stole a road win, 81-78, in Mid-American Conference women's basketball Wednesday at Millett Hall in Oxford, Ohio.  

Impact moments

The Chippewas (12-6, 10-4 MAC) started quickly, jumping ahead by as many as 10 points in the first quarter. Watters knocked down a 3-pointer to put CMU up 17-7, however the RedHawks (2-16, 1-13) would score 18 of the next 20 points to take a 25-19 lead midway through the second quarter. 

CMU answered with five unanswered to cut the lead to one, but Miami's Vanessa Garrelts answered with a triple and guard Peyton Scott followed with a jumper to push the lead back to six. That six-point lead would hold until the half for the RedHawks despite numerous attempts to cut into it by the Chippewas. Miami led 39-33 at the break. 

The RedHawks continued to push their advantage in the third quarter, as the Chippewas were held scoreless for nearly three minutes. CMU would get as close as five, but Miami got clutch buckets from the trio of Katie Davidson, Scott and Kelly McLaughlin to take a 15-point lead. A last-second layup from  Davis left the score 60-47 Miami at the end of the third quarter. 

Kelly and company answered the bell in the fourth quarter, opening on a 17-6 run. Watters, Kelly and Davis all hit from beyond the arc, including Davis' long-range shot to cut the lead to 66-64. However, Miami answered with a 3-pointer from Abbey Hoff.

The Chippewas weren't done, as Davis tied the game later in the quarter with a 3-pointer. After Scott scored again, redshirt sophomore Anika Weekes scored to tie the game once again. Later, Kelly hit a free throw and a jumper to give CMU its first lead since the first quarter, 76-73, with 2:48 left in the game. 

Davis drove all the way to the rim and scored to extend the lead to five with less than a minute left. Scott would answer to cut the lead to three, but a free throw from Davis sealed the deal for the Chippewas. 

Key players

Kelly led all scorers with 37. Davis scored 13 of her 17 in the fourth quarter. Weekes had her second double-double of the season and totaled career highs in both points and rebounds with 13 points and 15 boards. 

Scott scored 29 for the RedHawks to lead her team. McLaughlin scored 20 and grabbed nine rebounds while Davidson had 12. 

Key stats

The Chippewas shot 51 percent (30-for-59) from the field and 36 percent (8-for-22) from beyond the arc. The RedHawks were 48 percent (29-for-60) from the field and 42 percent (8-for-19) from the field. 

CMU out rebounded Miami 39-29. The RedHawks had more assists, 14-8, and both teams had 13 turnovers. 

Up next

The Chippewas are set to host MAC-leading Kent State at 1 p.m. Saturday in McGuirk Arena. Saturday is the first and only regular-season meeting between the teams and will serve as the annual "Play 4 Kay" Pink Game. 

MAC standings (as of publication)

Kent State -- 6-1, 7-3

Bowling Green -- 10-3, 14-4

Northern Illinois -- 8-3, 10-6

Buffalo -- 7-3, 10-5

Central Michigan -- 10-4, 12-6

Ohio -- 8-5, 10-6

Eastern Michigan -- 6-4, 9-6

Ball State -- 7-5, 9-7

--

Toledo -- 4-8, 8-8

Akron -- 2-11, 5-11

Western Michigan -- 2-11, 3-12

Miami (Ohio) -- 1-13, 2-16