Final chief diversity officer candidate discusses focusing on individuals

screen-shot-2021-02-25-at-4-04-37-pm

David Humphrey Jr. addressed both students and faculty in online forums to discuss why he should be the next chief diversity officer of Central Michigan University.

Humphrey is one of the three final candidates to be considered for the position, and spoke at two forums on Feb. 25. During the student forum, Humphrey answered questions directly from the student body attending the forum on his plans as chief diversity officer.

Humphrey has a Ph.D. in critical education and policy studies from Ball State University and is currently the chief diversity and inclusion officer in the University of Michigan School of Education.

When asked about what he plans to do in his first 100 days in the position Humphrey said that he wants to emphasize getting to know students and their problems individually. 

"I want to understand the unique issues and themes presenting themselves, and create some collective ways that a community can come together," Humphrey said. "Meeting students, even virtually, just to get to know students and get to know what's important to you."

Humphrey wants to help create opportunities for advancement wherever he can by focusing on Diversity and Inclusion. This focus will equip students and staff with the experience to grow and learn in an environment that is safe and inclusive to all.

"Diversity is not just for students of color," Humphrey said. "Diversity and inclusion work must be central to us creating an opportunity for all of our students to create the necessary skills and dispositions to engage in an increasingly diverse global society."

Humphrey was the last candidate for this position to present on the open forum, the search committee will now choose a candidate for the position, taking student reaction to the forum into account.