Deadline approaches for 2021-22 SAPA applications

picture1
Courtesy Photo | SAPA

Applications to be a part of the Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates (SAPA) team during the 2021-22 academic year are due Feb. 26.

SAPA is an organization where students volunteer to help members of the CMU community who are effected by various types of sexual aggression, such as stalking, sexual harassment, domestic violence and sexual assault. 

“SAPA is looking to bring in around 35 new SAPA members for our Fall 2021 class,” said Director of Sexual Aggression Services Brooke Oliver-Hempenstall. “We are looking for students who want to make a difference, who want to be part of the solution to ending sexual and domestic violence.”

Applicants must be non-first year freshmen in the beginning of the Fall 2021 semester and are asked to give SAPA a one-year commitment, although a two-year commitment is preferred. 

“I love being able to make a difference for survivors,” said Grand Rapids senior Kailyn Kroll, a second year SAPA member. “Getting to experience this dynamic with a group of people who share the values that SAPA does while getting to help those who use our services is incredible.”

Students who apply and are selected will be required to attend a 15-minute virtual application review with the Sexual Aggression Services admin team sometime between March 1 and 5. On March 6, students will have a 60-minute-long interview with current SAPA members. Applicants will be able to ask questions and get to know members of the team, as well as share what parts of themselves they believe will help them be a good advocate for survivors.

New and returning members will also be required to attend a 52-hour comprehensive training that takes place over two full weekends, Sept. 10-12 and 17-19.  The training will help prepare students so that they can provide 24/7 confidential support to survivors who have been impacted by various forms of assault, harassment, etc. 

Applications can be emailed to sapa@cmich.edu and olive1bl@cmich.edu or delivered in a sealed envelope to Foust Hall Room 150.