CRIME LOG: Woman scammed out of $2,000 by a fake FBI agent

stock-24
CMUPD cars sit in the parking lot outside the police station Jan. 8.

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department and Mount Pleasant Police Department from Feb. 1 to Feb. 15.

Feb. 1

An 18-year-old woman reached out to CMUPD at approximately 7 p.m. with a report of fraud out of Calkins Hall. A man called her pretending to be an FBI agent and alerted her that her social security number was used to purchase a house in Texas. The caller said that drugs had been discovered at the property and that she was liable because the property was in her name. The caller convinced her to buy various gift cards, scratch off the numbers and send them to her. The woman purchased $2,000 worth of gift cards. 

Feb. 3

A 19-year-old woman reported her bike missing to CMUPD at approximately midnight. The bike had been parked near Lot 53 by Saxe Hall and was likely stolen on Feb. 1. The woman said the bike had been locked and had no idea who stole it. 

Feb. 8

A 21-year-old woman reported a threat to CMUPD at approximately 10 p.m. after hosting a virtual RSO meeting over Zoom. There had been reportedly seven members in the meeting when someone entered the room and posted a message in the chat that said, "I can't wait to rape you after class" with the woman's name. The meeting was immediately shut down, but it was not recorded. CMUPD is still investigating.

Feb. 10

A 23-year-old woman called CMUPD at approximately 2:30 p.m. to report a suspicious situation. She was studying in the Charles V. Park Library when a man who looked to be in his mid-40s approached her. He told her she was cute and asked if she was "into older men." The woman told police she had never seen him before and did not see him again after the incident. A similar incident was reported to CMUPD two days later, which provided additional information that helped identify the man. Officers made contact with him on Feb. 12 at the library. The 39-year-old man admitted he was responsible for the inappropriate comments, and he was served with a trespass letter banning him from campus. The man has no affiliation with CMU.

Feb. 11

CMUPD pulled over a 21-year-old woman at approximately 3:30 a.m. at the intersection of Preston and West Campus Drive for driving without headlights. Her vehicle reportedly smelled strongly of alcohol and the woman showed additional signs of intoxication. She was arrested for drunk driving and lodged at the Isabella County Jail. 

A university department purchased personal protection equipment that turned out to be counterfeit in its brand name. CMUPD is now in contact with federal law enforcement to investigate and report the fraudulent seller.

A 53-year-old woman reported damage to property to CMUPD out of Rose Hall around noon. She suspected that a fellow coworker was responsible for damage to her file cabinet lock from an ongoing dispute. CMUPD is still investigating.

MPPD was informed of a stolen vehicle that came from the Beaverton area. After searching the area, the stolen vehicle was found at Super 8 with its license plate removed along with the 33-year-old Mount Pleasant man that was reported to have stolen it. The man was placed into custody and searched. Knives and a capped needle were found on him. After being transferred to jail, a bag of methamphetamine was also found on him. The man was arrested for the stolen vehicle, possession of methamphetamine and carrying a concealed weapon. The vehicle was turned over to Beaverton Police Department.

Central Dispatch released an alert for a potentially intoxicated driver at approximately 4 p.m. CMUPD found the vehicle matching the description from the alert parked at a restaurant. Officers waited until the car's owner left the restaurant, got into his car and exited the parking lot. CMUPD pulled him over at the intersection of Mission and Stadium and found that the 19-year-old man was driving with a suspended license. He was not intoxicated. CMUPD issued him a citation for his license.

Feb. 12 

Around 10:50 a.m., a 37-year-old man reported a domestic violence case where his 37-year-old friend was assaulted by her 34-year-old boyfriend. The man found out from Facebook that the woman was assaulted. The woman had a bruised left eye but did not seek medical attention. It was said that the incidents occurred in December and October of 2020. MPPD contacted the woman over the phone and recorded information about the domestic violence incident. This information to the Prosecuting Attorney's Office. No arrest was made and officers could not make contact with the 34-year-old man.

CMUPD responded to a fire alarm out of Sweeny Hall at approximately 9 p.m. There was reportedly the smell of gas coming from the basement mechanical room and smoke coming from the motor. The Mount Pleasant Fire Department responded to the call and cleared the smoke. The source of the smoke was a broken motor, which was fixed by Facilities Management. The building had been evacuated for approximately 35 minutes. 

Feb. 15

A 43-year-old man reported his vehicle was stolen around 1:30 p.m. after leaving his 2003 Toyota Highlander running in an alley behind a business. After searching the area and not locating the vehicle, officers sent a "be on the lookout," alert to all of the local counties. Alma was able to locate the vehicle and the 30-year-old man who stole it. Charges from MPPD will be sent over to the Prosecuting Attorney's Office.