Hannah DeMers, Katie Kowalski named All-MAC First Teamers

Sierra DeMarinis honored as Second Teamer

dc293a49-ee2d-400a-b99f-c9f530de4dde

Canton sophomore Hannah DeMers executes her floor routine during a Feb. 28 meet against Bowling Green in McGuirk Arena. 

After a phenomenal 2021 regular season campaign, three Chippewas were named to the All-Mid-American Conference teams, the conference announced Friday.

Sophomore Hannah DeMers and Freshman Katie Kowalski made the All-MAC First Team and junior Sierra DeMarinis made the All-MAC Second Team.

Demers proved to be the anchor this season, winning one MAC Specialist of the Week and three consecutive MAC Gymnast of the Week honors at the end of the season. She also ranked second in the MAC on the vault with a national qualifying score of 9.869, first on the uneven bars with a NQS of 9.894, first on the floor exercise with an NQS of 9.913 and first on the all-around with an NQS of 39.350.

Kowalski established herself throughout her first season with the Chippewas. She put together a strong season on the vault, topping the conference with a NQS of 9.869.

DeMarinis proved to be a standout in the all-around in her third season with the Chippewas. DeMarinis set career-highs in bars, beam and floor. She ranked fifth in the MAC on the vault with an NQS of 9.825, second on the floor with a NQS of 9.906 and third on the all-around with a NQS of 39.213.

CMU (5-3, 4-3 MAC) finished tied for fourth with Eastern Michigan in the season standings. The Chippewas next compete at the MAC Championships at 2 p.m. Saturday in Western Michigan's Read Fieldhouse.