Chippewa men fall in season finale to NIU

Sports editor Austin Chastain and staff reporter Mitch Vosburg recap a 79-74 loss for the CMU men's team to end the season on March 5 in McGuirk Arena. Austin Chastain and Mitch Vosburg

Following a critical block from junior center Malik Muhammad, junior forward Meikkel Murray drove the loose ball to the net for an and-one opportunity.

Murray drained his free throw to earn a career-best 30 points, but the Bronx, New York native’s career performance was not enough for the Chippewas to knock off Northern Illinois, resulting in a 79-74 Mid-American Conference loss Friday in McGuirk Arena.

CMU finishes with a 7-16 overall record and a 3-13 mark in the MAC. NIU finishes 3-16 overall and 2-12 in conference action while claiming its first conference victory since knocking off Akron on Jan. 12

The Chippewas 3-13 conference record is the programs worst since finishing 3-15 during the 2013-14 season, the second season of head coach Keno Davis’ tenure.

“This (team) went from a group that was trying to find itself early in the year to a group at the end that really cared about winning, cared about their teammates, and cared about everyone’s health," Davis said. "Those are the type of things I don’t take lightly or take for granted.

"I’m really proud of this group, and if anything it’s just made me more of a believer that these guys were the right guys to bring into the program not just because of their talent on the court, but because of their character when we faced adversity this year whether if it was the team and not winning like we wanted to or whether it was individuals with injuries or COVID-19.”

CMU played with eight players for the second straight game and were missing freshman center Aundre Polk and senior guards Travon Broadway Jr. and Devontae Lane.

KEY MOMENTS

After leading 19-13 with 9:40 remaining in the first half NIU exploded with a 24-8 run to give the Huskies a 37-27 lead with just under two minutes remaining in the game's opening 20 minutes. Junior guard Matt Beachler drained a 3-pointer to cut CMU's deficit to seven points entering intermission. 

The Huskies opened the second half with three-straight makes from beyond the arc in 2:01 to extend their lead to 46-30. Trailing by 16 points with 16:55 to go CMU stormed back with a 17-3 run, highlighted by eight points from junior forward Meikkel Murray, to cut NIU’s lead down to 54-52 with 10 minutes to go. 

NIU mustered a 10-4 run to claim a 64-56 lead with 6:44 to go, but the Chippewas clawed their way back to within three points with 2:07 to go. Huskies guard Caleb Thornton attempted a layup with under 1:10 to play, but was rejected by junior center Malik Muhammad. Murray scooped the loose ball, drive to the net and earned an and-one layup, drained his free throw, and tied the game at 72 with 59 seconds remaining.

The Huskies would claim seven of the game's final nine points to win their second MAC contest of the season. 

KEY PERFORMERS

On top of his 30 points, Murray added 10 rebounds for his third-career double-double. 

“I’m still learning how to win division I (basketball) games," Murray said. "That’s the most important thing to me.” 

Redshirt sophomore guard PJ Mitchell finished with a career-best 14 points and junior guard Caleb Huffman added 11. 

Trendon Hankerson led NIU with 27 points.

KEY STATS

Despite forcing six first half turnovers the Chippewas finished 9-of-32 from the floor and 5-of-21 from inside the arc. 

UP NEXT

The Chippewas will await their fate for the MAC Tournament. Currently, CMU sits 10th of 12 teams.