CRIME LOG: Police investigate multiple retail fraud incidents

stock-24
CMUPD cars sit in the parking lot outside the police station Jan. 8.

The following incidents were among those handled by Mount Pleasant Police Department from March 9 to March 21. 

March 9

Officers were called to the Meijer located on 1000 Blk E Pickard St around 4:15 p.m. after a 28-year-old woman attempted to steal merchandise. The woman admitted she stole because she needed the clothing for her new job. The woman concealed $119.97 worth of clothing in her purse and under her sweatshirt. MPPD cited the woman for third degree retail fraud

A MPPD officer was patrolling the intersection of Broomfield and Mission Streets around 11:15 p.m and observed a 21-year-old man exit O'Kelly's Sports Bar & Grill, walk past a vehicle into a line of trees and urinated. The man was then cited for disorderly conduct for public urination. 

March 13

A neighbor in the apartment complex at the 1600 Blk. of Canterbury Trail called MPPD to check on two 2-year-old children around 11:45 a.m. The child was reportedly locked out of their apartment for nearly an hour. Officers came and spoke to the 26-year-old mother of the children and she stated she knew that the child was in the hallway. She claimed the individuals in the house were sleeping so the child must have gotten out. This case was turned to Child Protective Services for a follow up. 

MPPD responded to a domestic violence complaint at the 1100 Blk of Appian Way between a 23-year-old man and 24-year-old woman around 2 p.m. The two were split up for the night and a report was sent to the Prosecuting Attorney's Office. 

Officers were called to the 1000 Blk. of Corporate Drive where an assault had occurred at  around 7 p.m. A 32-year-old woman and a 50-year-old man were out together when the woman's ex-boyfriend showed up. The 45-year-old man attacked the 50-year-old man from behind and wrapped his arms around his neck taking him to the ground. The 50-year-old man said he did not fight back, and he had abrasions on his knees and elbows. Officers confirmed this all happened with security camera footage. The 45-year-old man was arrested for assault and battery. 

March 15 

The CMU Biology Department reported damaged property at the CMU-owned Neithercut Lodge in Farwell to CMUPD at approximately 12 p.m. The entry door had been forced open, but no other damage was reported. There are currently no leads.

March 16

CMUPD received a letter from a police department in Florida. The letter informed CMUPD that a former CMU student used his grandfather's information to cosign a student loan in 2019 without his grandfather's permission. The grandfather reported this to the Florida police department, and the investigation is still open. 

An Aramark manager out of Carey Dining called CMUPD regarding a 19-year-old employee. The manager had just finished a disciplinary meeting when the employee became "boisterous," started cursing, punched a wall and resigned. CMUPD made contact with the man who is not a student and told him he was not allowed to come back to campus.

March 17

CMUPD assisted another law enforcement agency with apprehending a 35-year-old man at Timber Creek Apartments. There had been a report of breaking and entering complaint and a description with the 35-year-old man. CMUPD officers found the man matching the description in a stairwell. After talking to him, the man started running from the scene. He was briefly lost and then found hiding behind a door. He took off running again before running outside into the “waiting arms” of CMUPD officers.

The Michigan State University Police Department contacted CMUPD with a 27-year-old woman who had a warrant out of CMUPD. Officers from the two departments met up to transfer the woman into CMUPD's custody. The original incident involved the woman posting a "Keep Calm and Fire Up Shirt" for sale on Facebook that turned out to be a scam. The original warrant was issued in 2012 after the woman violated her probation. The woman is now being lodged at the Isabella County Jail.

March 20

A 29-year-old man stole $5.05 of beer at the Speedway on S. Mission St around 2 a.m. MPPD was able to identify the man after viewing the surveillance video and recognizing him from previous encounters. Since many businesses cannot legally sell alcohol after 2 a.m., the Speedway employee informed the man it was too late for him to buy any alcohol. The man was upset and fled after stealing the beer. He was soon found with the beer, and was arrested for retail fraud. 

It was reported to MPPD that a man appeared to be sleeping with his car running in a parking lot near 1000 Blk. S. Crapo and E. Bellows St. around 9 p.m. When officers awoke the man, he spoke incoherently and kept falling back to sleep. During the man's pat-down, a bag of methamphetamine was found and later on a bag of fentanyl was also found. The man was taken to the hospital, and once he was cleared he was arrested for operating while intoxicated (OWI), driving while license suspended, possession of methamphetamine and fentanyl and possession of stolen property since the vehicle's license plate was stolen. 

March 21

MPPD officers were dispatched to China One Buffet around 12:20 p.m. to investigate an assault. A 28-year-old woman said she saw a 31-year-old woman assault a 43-year-old female employee. The case was turned over to the Prosecutor's office for assault charges.