Special Olympics Michigan raises more than fundraising goal for virtual Polar Plunge

polarplunge-courtesy

Photo Courtesy | Special Olympics Michigan

Special Olympics Michigan has surpassed its fundraising goal for this year’s Polar Plunge, despite expectations that the COVID-19 pandemic would derail the annual event. 

SOMI’s objective for the sixth year of plunging was to raise $500,000 in support of Special Olympics athletes. The achievement of their goal was announced on Feb. 23, and the money raised has since risen to over $675,000.  

In this year’s Polar Plunge, participants sent in pictures and videos of themselves doing their polar plunge so that the event could remain virtual and safe. Some activities included snowball fights while wearing swimsuits or “penguin sledding” face-first down a snowy hill. 

According to Aaron Mills, SOMI’s Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, the event usually raises between $1.2 and $1.4 million, with last year’s plunge being the highest at $1.37 million. 

“We were blown away with what we saw," Mills said. "We knew that—moving to a virtual setting—we were going to have to kind of set a lower fundraising goal.”

Mills said that at first it seemed they may not hit the goal, but in the last two and a half weeks or so the fundraising really took off.

SOMI usually holds events in the Spring and Summer but plans for 2021 are speculative due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some smaller-scale virtual events for athletes are still being conducted.The organization is still working on a plan for what sports will be offered in the coming months.