Safer Sex Program sees success amid pandemic

20210304_144940-2

A photo of one of the Safer Sex Program kiosks.

The Safer Sex Program has had increased success in spreading its message amid the pandemic.

Symantha ​Dattilo Assistant Director of the Mary Ellen Brandell Volunteer Center said that the aim of the program is to "connect students to both education and the practical tools they need to engage in safe sex if that is something they chose."

She said that the overarching goal of the program is to help students make informed decisions about sex and abstinence. The program offers various barrier methods for free to students who need them.

"(Normally) we'd be hosting all kinds of educational events, as well as handing out products in-person," Dattilo said.

Dattilo said that because of COVID-19 and campus guidelines, that's not an option right now.

"We started partnering with Residence Life and we were able to make sure that we had these pop-ups in every single residence hall," Dattilo said.

In addition to kiosks in every residence hall, there are also kiosks outside the Volunteer Center office in the Bovee University Center, by the Student Food Pantry, and the Counseling Center.

Each kiosk has bags packed with various barrier methods, depending on what students need. The kiosks are restocked every Friday.

There are also bags with what Dattilo called "abstinence candies," and information for students choosing abstinence. 

Dattilo said that the benefits of the kiosks are that students are "to just literally grab and go. They're able to do that at their own pace, comfort, and ease."

So far, they have handed out over 4,000 various types of barrier methods during the academic year. This exceeds what they've averaged in previous years.

Dattilo said that before the idea for the kiosks came about, they tried to have students sign up to pick up the products they needed through Engage. But it didn't gain a lot of traction.

Additionally, Dattilo said that they have updated their education materials to include COVID safe practices.

"So it includes things like aiming to have a consistent partner," Dattilo said. "And if you are having new partners, making sure that you are getting their names, spelled out and their phone numbers for contact tracing purposes, and making sure that you share that information as well."

Director of the Volunteer Center Erica Johnson said that they hope to continue using the kiosks in the future, given the success of the idea.