Annual Slut Walk turns to Slut Week

thumbnail_170693751_2981429248754718_6786299880424521165_n

Slut Week 2021 will last from April 19 to April 23.

The annual Slut Walk hosted by Central Michigan University's Organization of Women Leaders (OWLs) has turned into a virtual Slut Week this year.

Slut Week will feature daily events hosted by OWLs April 19-23.

OWLs has been hosting the event since 2015. Last year, the event was canceled due to technical difficulties, Eastpointe senior and OWLs President Katelyn Couture said.

This year, the biggest challenge is motivating students to attend, she said. The organization has been chalking, hanging flyers and informing other Registered Student Organizations.

"We're just trying to do as much as we can with PR," Couture said. 

Each day hosts a unique activity.

• April 19: A virtual screening of the documentary "Roll Red Roll," a 2018 documentary about the role of social media in sexual assault, according to IMDB.
  • April 20: A Twitter campaign with the hashtag #ILoveMyBodyBecause to spread body positivity by participants posting a picture of when they felt the most empowered.
  • April 21: People can decorate their rooms to make it more "comfortable in their own space" in a campaign called "Slut Up Your Room," Couture said.
  • April 22: Earth Day Kayaking hosted by Buckley's Mountainside Canoes where participants can kayak the Chippewa River and clean up trash.
  • April 23: Virtual Slut Walk from 7-9 p.m. with multiple guest speakers talking about the event's history, consent, and sexual assault. There will also be performers with music and poetry.

"Even though it is virtual, it is an extremely powerful event," Couture said. "The Slut Walks I have been able to attend in person have made a huge impact on me, and I have learned so much about the importance of this and what to do in situations like this."

Links to the events can be found at OWL's Linktree.