Jordan Patty breaks CMU consecutive scoreless inning record

7a9b862f-ff44-4a72-883b-97dad7a82498
Midland junior Jordan Patty releasing the ball against Miami (OH) where he would end up pitching a perfect game, Friday, April 30.

Central Michigan junior right-hander Jordan Patty continues to make history. 

A week after throwing the first perfect game in Chippewa baseball history, Patty broke the program record for consecutive scoreless innings pitched. He surpassed Chris Knapp's record of 40 consecutive scoreless innings set in 1974. 

Patty came into the game with 38 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings. He recorded a 1-2-3 inning in the top of the first to come within an out of tying the record. Patty did so by striking out Nick Powell to start the second inning, and broke the record when he got Ryan Peltier to pop out. 

"I wasn't really thinking about it," Patty said. "If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Can't force something that may not be there, no matter how bad you want it. Luckily it did come out and fortunate to break that record. 

The Cardinals snapped the streak in the top of the third when Noah Navarro hit a two-out RBI single. As it stands, Patty went 41 1/3 innings without allowing a run. 

The Chippewas used a four-run seventh inning to win the game, 7-3. Patty finished the game with three runs allowed, two of which were earned, in seven innings. He earned the win, his seventh of the season. 

Patty, a Midland native, last allowed a run in the third inning of the MAC opener, a 5-1 loss to Ohio. That loss is currently Patty's only of the season. 

Since the loss to Ohio, Patty is 5-0 and has been named the conference's Pitcher of the Week twice, including last week following his perfect game. 

As a freshman, Patty was primarily a hitter, playing the infield for the Chippewas. He hit .140 in 93 at-bats, while also making 7 appearances on the mound. He transitioned to the mound full-time as a sophomore, going 4-2 in 15 appearances. 

He was set to break out as a junior, going 3-0 with a .72 ERA in four starts before the season was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. That momentum has carried into his senior year, where he's now 7-1. 

"Man, a lot of things changed," Patty said. "A lot of things changed. I'm grateful for those changes. Just looking back, it's funny to say, 'Yeah I played short, I played third, I played second here.' I wouldn't have it any other way."