Softball steps up, sweeps Ohio in last doubleheader of season

edits-11
Clarkston freshman Abbey Tolmie, left, and Vicksburg senior Shaidan Knapp chat quickly during a game April 4 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

As Central Michigan and Ohio sat locked up at 3-3, Caitlyn Britton swapped her face guard for her helmet. The sophomore pitcher watched intently from the box as two of her teammates rooted her on from the bases. 

Finding the perfect pitch, Britton punched her seventh home run of the season over the fence, shattering the tied score for three runs.

Alongside Britton, a number Chippewas made strong contributions to CMU's (19-28, 17-20) doubleheader sweep over Ohio (21-25, 17-20) Saturday at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Head coach McCall Salmon said her team settled in nicely in the first game, given the performance of six runs across a two-inning span. 

"After yesterday ... we talked about before the game; we need to drag the ball to right side, hit it where it's pitched," Salmon said. "That's exactly what we did those first two innings, that's something that went well." 

As the Chippewas move into the season finale on Sunday, Salmon is determined for her team to close out with a win. 

"I'm excited, I know the team is excited," Salmon said. "Last year we knew when it was our last game, the season was called but we still got the opportunity to play that same game that day, I'm expecting them to come out and compete tomorrow like they did last year; we know it's the end, so why not leave it all out on the field and that's what we're going to see tomorrow."

Game one

The Chippewas rallied early on offensively, stacking up their total of six runs by the third inning. A strong defensive showing held the Bobcats at bay, giving CMU the first half victory at 6-4.

Chippewa outfielder Abbey Tolmie cracked the game wide open as the first on the batting order with a double and scored by Morgan Gardner's single on the next play. Britton kept the train moving, ripping a double to right field, scoring Gardner for a two-run first inning.

An explosive second frame added the final four runs for CMU. Skylar Coberley walked, advancing to second on Emily Bracamonte's sacrifice grounder and scored on Samantha Mills' single, forcing Ohio into a pitcher swap. Tolmie singled to advance Mills, giving Gardner an opportunity to step into the box and sail a pitch beyond the stadium fences for three runs. 

Ohio tacked on its first two runs in the top of the third with a sacrifice fly by Katie Yun for an RBI, the second runner scoring by an error at right field. Yun scored again in the top of the sixth, opening the inning with a solo home run. The final run dropped in the seventh as Caroline Spacek singled, then scored on Alexis Dawe's double.

Grace Lehto worked a full seven innings in the circle for CMU, striking out four. The freshman allowed three earned runs on five hits and walked two. 

Game two

Ohio tacked on an early lead over CMU, but a strong mid-game and late-game pushed the Chippewas over the top for the doubleheader sweep at a 6-3 victory.

The Bobcats drove in two runs in the top of the first and added a third run in the fourth frame, capitalizing on a triad of singles for an RBI.  The Chippewas found a bit of struggle against pitcher Makenzie Kohl, who pitched a full seven in Ohio's victory over CMU on Friday.

An opening presented itself in the fourth inning, which allowed CMU to tie the score at 3-3. Britton reached on an error at shortstop, a dead ball and a single put Shaidan Knapp and Kelsey Alexander on to load the bases. Skylar Coberley singled to right field, scoring Britton. Abigail Niehaus followed suit with a single of her own, this time scoring Knapp and Alexander. 

Kaitlyn Bean put forth 3 2/3 innings and struck out three, allowing three runs on eight hits. Britton stepped in during the fourth inning to pitch the remainder of the game.

Britton denied the Bobcats any further runs in the circle and turned the tables by being the driving force to the Chippewas' final three runs. Gardner and Tolmie claimed a pair of singles in the bottom of the fifth, which allowed Britton to step into the box and rip the ball out of the fence. 

Britton's home run upgraded her total for the season to seven, as well as propel the Chippewas over Ohio in runs at 6-3. The sophomore completed her 3 1/3 innings pitched with one allowed hit, a strikeout and a walk.

Up next

The Chippewas and the Bobcats will conclude the Mid-American Conference season in a one-game finale at Margo Jonker Stadium on Sunday at noon.