Justin Hinds leaving CMU to become defensive coordinator coach at Western Carolina

When Central Michigan reconvenes for fall camp, it will have a new face working with its defensive linemen. 

Justin Hinds, who had coached the Chippewas defensive linemen for the last two seasons, has left the program to become the defensive coordinator at Western Carolina. Hinds will also coach the Catamounts' linebackers. 

The program announced the move as part of a series of social media posts announcing new hires. 

Current Western Carolina head coach Kerwin Bell worked with Hinds at Valdosta State, where Hinds was the defensive line coach and academic coordinator from 2016-17. 

Western Carolina, based in Cullowhee, South Carolina, plays at the Division I Football Championship Subdivision Level. The Catamounts play in the Southern Conference and were 1-8 in 2020. 

While Hinds was at CMU, he helped produce four All-Mid-American Conference selections on the defensive line. Sean Adesanya and Robi Stuart were selected in 2019, while Troy Hairston and Mohamed Diallo were chosen in 2020. 

Hairston was the MAC co-Defensive Player of the Year in 2020. Diallo was selected in the third round of the 2021 CFL Draft. 

Hinds' departure is the third by a member of the coaching staff this offseason. Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Charlie Frye left to become the Miami Dolphins quarterbacks coach in January, while secondary coach David Rowe took the cornerbacks coach position at the University of Houston in March. 

Former CMU wide receivers coach Kevin Barbay filled Frye's role as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Alvin Slaughter was hired to be the Chippewas' new wide receivers coach, while Mike Zordich was brought on to replace Rowe as secondary coach. 

The Chippewas open the 2021 season Sept. 4 at Missouri.