CMU men's basketball adds three players to roster

healy-cameron-2

New Central Michigan men's basketball coach Tony Barbee made his first additions to the Chippewa program. 

Albany transfer guard Cameron Healy announced his decision to join the program on Twitter Saturday, becoming the first player Barbee has added since being named head coach. 

Several hours later, Victory Rock Prep point guard Kevin Miller committed to the Chippewas. Miller posted a video on his Instagram announcing the news. 

On Sunday, Illinois-Chicago sophomore guard Brian Taylor tweeted his intention to join the Chippewas. 

In his tweet, Healy mentioned his excitement to play for Barbee as well as Shane Heirman, a current assistant at DePaul. A team spokesperson did not respond to an inquiry about the news and Heirman has not been officially announced as an addition to the staff.

In three years at Albany, Healy played in 75 games with 57 starts. The Sydney, Australia native redshirted during the 2017-18 season. As a redshirt freshman, Healy started all 32 games and averaged 16 points per game, while shooting 41 percent from beyond the arc. 

Healy also broke the program's rookie scoring record, scoring 512 points to top the previous high of 509. He was named to the America East Conference All-Rookie team in 2018-19 as well as a third team All-AEC selection. 

Healy played in 31 games with 23 starts as a sophomore. The production was similar, as Healy averaged 14.2 points per game and ranked fifth in the NCAA in free throw percentage. 

In 2020-21, Healy struggled with injuries as well as the emergence of other players on the Great Danes' roster. Healy played in 12 of Albany's 16 games, starting two, and averaged 3.2 points on 23 percent shooting from beyond the arc. 

Healy played at Montverde Academy as a high schooler with current New York Knick RJ Barrett to help the school reach a high school national championship game. 

Taylor played in 41 games at UIC, starting four. He averaged three points per game in his two seasons, posting a career-high 11 against Valparaiso on Dec. 1, 2020. Taylor attended Detroit Edison high school. 

With the NCAA granting every winter student-athlete an extra year of eligibility due to the coronavirus pandmeic, Healy will have two seasons of eligibility with CMU, while Taylor will have three. 

Miller will be an incoming freshman in the class of 2021. He was offered by the Chippewas on April 25, just days after Barbee was officially introduced as head coach. 

Miller hails from Chicago, Illinois, but played at Victory Rock Prep in Sarasota, Florida and won two state championships. He also had offers from Arkansas State, Illinois-Chicago and DePaul. 

With these additions, the Chippewas currently have four available scholarships. Junior guard Caleb Huffman recently re-entered the transfer portal, while senior Travon Broadway signed with an agent and will pursue a professional career. 

Returning seniors Braden Burke and Devontae Lane will not count against the team's scholarship limit due to the COVID extra-year waiver.