CMU updates summer COVID-19 guidelines

we-do-community-17
Signage raising awareness to COVID-19 safety and health guidelines is displayed Aug. 26 outside Warriner Hall.

As COVID-19 restrictions loosen in Michigan, Central Michigan University continues to update its policies.

An email to faculty and staff last week outlined the summer guidelines for staying safe on campus. 

Masks are no longer required outdoors, although social distancing is still recommended. 

Masks must be worn in classrooms and in indoor, communal spaces like the library or the University Center, regardless of vaccination status. 

Indoor gatherings of fewer than 25 people in a well-ventilated space do not require masks for those who are fully vaccinated. If there are more than 25 people, masks are required even for those who are vaccinated.

CMU will not be requiring students and faculty to be vaccinated but encourages the campus community to get the vaccine. 

As restrictions change, CMU will continue to update its guidelines. 

Heather Smith, executive director of communications and member of CMU’s emergency response team, said the team is meeting weekly to discuss changes made by the CDC, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, and the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

“There's a lot of moving parts and pieces all the time that we're constantly discussing and acting on so that we can make the best, informed decisions for our campus community,” Smith said.

More information on summer guidelines can be found on CMU’s website.