What has changed on and off campus over the summer

Little Koi is located at 1804 S Mission St, next to Insomnia Cookies.

The Fall 2021 semester begins in less than a month and Central Michigan University’s campus and Mount Pleasant have had some changes over the summer. Here’s a few things for returning students to look forward to.

Goodbye Burrito Bowl, Hello Shake Smart At the end of the spring semester, construction began in Bovee University Center to replace Burrito Bowl with Shake Smart. Students will be able to buy shakes, smoothies, sandwiches and other food items. Shake Smart is scheduled to open in mid-August.

Chartwells takes over residential restaurants At the end of the spring semester, CMU’s contract with Aramark ended and the university chose not to renew it. Instead going with Chartwells, a food service company that caters specifically to colleges and universities. The Down Under Food Court has been replaced as well as other food shops on campus; some local franchises are expected to get on-campus locations. Chartwells also has contracts with Eastern Michigan University and Oakland University.

New Green Tree location A new location for Green Tree Cooperative Grocery is currently under construction and will open in the latter half of October. They will be expanding the fresh food and deli departments and adding seating where students can study and get food other than what is available on campus. Green Tree will also have a large bulk collection so shoppers can buy only what they need like a single cup of sugar, serving size milk and spices sold in teaspoon or tablespoon portions.

Ramen and bubble tea Two restaurants opened over the summer serving ramen, poke and bubble tea. Little Koi is located by Insomnia Cookies right next to CMU’s campus. Their first location is in Saginaw. Co-owner Lin Fan said they chose to open a Mount Pleasant location due to popular demand from customers who came to Saginaw for the food. Tai Chi Bubble Tea reopened in July after closing down in 2019. It is located on Mission Street next to Great Wall. Both locations serve ramen, poke and bubble tea, but vary in flavors and options available.