Annual Homecoming parade to return next month

parade
Petoskey sophomore Nicole Gerhauser, left, passes out candy during the homecoming parade on Oct. 14 outside of Barnes Hall.

The Central Michigan University Homecoming Parade is back after being canceled in 2020 due to COVID-19. The parade will be held on Saturday, Oct. 16, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. starting in the commuter parking lot next to the Towers and ending at Sacred Heart Church.

The parade will include President Bob Davies, CMU football alumnus, and former NFL player Joe Staley, who will be acting as Grand Marshal and CMU Gold Ambassadors. 

Also participating will be the CMU Marching Band, the Student Government Association, and other floats by students and the Mount Pleasant Community. 

“We are really excited to bring a longstanding tradition back to CMU after a year off,” Homecoming parade chair Molly Schuneman said. "(The parade) will be really exciting and ignite (student's) spirits for Homecoming and help foster excitement and love for CMU."

Other Homecoming events returning this year are Rock Rally, the Medallion Hunt, and a social media challenge. The details for these events are available on the CMU Homecoming webpage.

This year’s Homecoming week will be slightly shorter because the Monday and Tuesday of that week are wellness days. 

Businesses or organizations that would like to enter a float or be in the parade can register on Engage Central or email schun1m@cmich.edu for more details. The deadline to sign up is Monday, Oct. 11 at 11:59 p.m.