Injury report: Bracy, Johnson out for FIU game

e391173a-6799-452a-b39b-4d6b770cbfd8
Mobile, Ala. junior Darius Bracy runs through tacklers against Robert Morris, Saturday, Sept. 11.

Central Michigan football coach Jim McElwain listed four Chippewas dealing with injuries heading into the team's week four matchup with Florida International. 

Running back Darius Bracy and defensive end LaQuan Johnson Jr. will be out. Wide Reciever JaCorey Sullivan is questionable and offensive lineman Danny Motowski is probable.

Bracy suffered an MCL injury in the Chippewas' loss to the Tigers. He exited the game in the first quarter after taking a hit from LSU cornerback Derek Stingley. 

"That's anywhere from a three to six week deal, depending on how that knee responds," McElwain said. "He's been in, doing everything he can to get back." 

In Bracy's absence, the Chippewas will lean on the freshman trio of running backs in Marion Lukes, Myles Bailey and De'Javion Stepney behind starter Lew Nichols III. CMU has already lost one running back, Kobe Lewis, to a significant knee injury. 

Johnson is out Saturday after re-aggrivating his knee injury that forced him to miss all but two quarters of the 2020 season. 

"We feel like, hopefully, he'll be back," McElwain said. "Not long term by any stretch of the imagination, but we'll re-evaluate after this weekend and see where hopefully we can get him moving forward." 

With Johnson out, Valdosta State transfer Thomas Incoom and junior Amir Siddiq will likely see increased workloads. 

Sullivan has been the team's leading receiver through three games. He's caught a team-high 15 passes for 250 yards, a total that ranks third in the Mid-American Conference. McElwain said he's pain free right now, but uncertain as to whether he'll play. 

Sullivan suffered his injury in the loss to Louisiana State. He finished the game, but dealt with swelling on Monday. Motowski, meanwhile, has been limited in practice and is probable heading into Saturday's game after missing each of the last two games. McElwain said he plans to evaluate both players status over Thursday and Friday's practices. 

The Chippewas (1-2) and Panthers (1-2) kick off at noon Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.