Richardson tabbed as starting QB against Miami (Ohio)

football-9-25-020

Miami quarterback Daniel Richardson prepares to throw a pass during the Chippewas game against Florida International University Sept. 25 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

Daniel Richardson will start at quarterback for Central Michigan football heading into its week five matchup with Miami (Ohio), coach Jim McElwain said Wednesday. 

"I just feel like D-Rich deserves it with his performance last week," McElwain said. "It's a good problem to have, with two guys who can come in and play." 

Richardson's start will be his first of the 2021 season. A redshirt freshman, he's played in all four of the Chippewas games, including Sept. 25 against Florida International when he threw three fourth quarter touchdowns to lead a comeback win. 

Though his playing time had been sparse leading to the FIU game, Richardson had engineered touchdown drives against Robert Morris and Louisiana State, as well as coming off the bench to throw a touchdown on his only attempt in the season-opening loss to Missouri. 

The Miami, Florida native started four of the Chippewas' six games in 2020. He was 63-for-99 for 714 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions. Richardson suffered a season-ending high-ankle sprain in CMU's win over Eastern Michigan. 

In 2021, Richardson is 28-for-46 passing for 437 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions. He replaces Jacob Sirmon, who started the first four games of the season after transferring from Washington. 

In those four games, Sirmon was 66-for-111 for 682 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. He was replaced by Richardson midway through the third quarter against FIU. 

"Jacob will be ready," McElwain said. "He had a great practice (Tuesday), in fact they both did."