Skipper to lead program as McElwain diagnosed with appendicitis

new-mexico-bowl-game-10

Central Michigan coach Jim McElwain paces the sideline against San Diego State during the New Mexico Bowl Dec. 21 at Dreamstyle Stadium in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Central Michigan head football coach Jim McElwain has been diagnosed with appendicitis and will undergo surgery Wednesday per a CMU press release. 

In his absence, assistant head coach Tim Skipper will lead the program. There is no timetable for McElwain's return. 

"The timing of that, it's gonna hit most of us at some point," Skipper said. "For (McElwain), it was time for him to get it taken care of. Once he started feeling it, immediately he's getting it taken care of. We're wishing him a speed recovery and to get back here as soon as possible."

Meeting with the media Wednesday, Skipper said the team is "hoping and praying" to have McElwain back by Saturday's season opener against Missouri. In the event Skipper has to lead the team into the game, he said he feels ready to do so.

"Coach Mac has prepared us for situations like this," Skipper said. "I've been with him a long time and he's always about setbacks are temporary." 

Skipper said he saw McElwain Wednesday morning, noticing the coach was walking a bit slower than usual. By 10 a.m., Skipper received a phone call informing him of McElwain's condition. The Chippewa staff held a meeting at 10:30, informing everyone of the news. 

The interim head coach said it's currently business as usual for the staff.  Skipper said everyone is operating on the daily schedule McElwain implements. 

"I kind of have (the schedule) memorized from being with him for so long," Skipper said. "We are well trained on how we practice and how we need to practice. We're staying to that, we're gonna get on a plane and we're gonna go play this game." 

Skipper, who also coaches the Chippewa linebackers, was promoted to assistant head coach in the spring. He is in his second year with CMU, coming to the program in 2020. If McElwain is unable to coach against the Tigers, Skipper will make his head coaching debut. 

In his experience with McElwain, Skipper has learned about the importance of sudden changes. This lesson will carry with Skipper heading into the game. 

"He's always worried about taking care of the worst case situation," Skipper said. "That has always been on his mind and that will always be on his mind. Prepare like always and the big thing is follow the path that he's laid out for us."

Outside of his time at CMU, Skipper has defensive coordinator experience. He held the role at UNLV from 2018-19 and at Sacramento State from 2003-05. He was McElwain's assistant head coach for two seasons at Colorado State.