CMU students work with community members to provide care

caregiver-image-3

Photo taken by Drew Travis

In the early morning hours, before classes begin, some Central Michigan University students are traveling off-campus to Mount Pleasant homes. Members of the College of Health Professions said these students are providing valuable services to community members by acting as caregivers.

Caregivers are a vital part of the healthcare system. They act as advocates for the elderly, disabled, or other needing individuals. The work of an in-home caregiver is often to simply improve the quality of life and support the individuals they care for.

Students in health professions are often required to spend time as care providers in one form or another. The results of these expectations can take many forms but some choose to take on caregiving responsibilities. 

One of those students is Port Huron senior, Taytum Reed. Her mornings often begin with a trip to the woman she cares for. Once there, she helps her client with her morning routine, errands and housework.

Reed said enlisting college students as caregivers hold many benefits for the client.

“(Student help) is not as expensive as normal health care. In-home health stuff like that is crazy expensive,” Reed said. "By teaming up with students, clients in the community receive fantastic care from future health professionals, while saving thousands of dollars." 

While the students offer affordable care to those in the community - they also bring a respite from loneliness for those they care for - an aspect of the job made even more important by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Associate Dean of the College of Health Professions Greg Zimmerman said caregiving is a two-way street for students as well. He said experiences like these give essential experiences for students to gain skills for their future careers. 

“(Caregiving) is a great opportunity to pick up some skills, get out in the field and learn what it is to provide care to others,” Zimmerman said.

Jobs for student caregivers in the community can be found in a variety of places. Flyers are often posted on flyer boards around campus and many can be found online. CMU has a community jobs page where caregiving jobs are often posted.

Job duties can range from basic housework to being an active participant in a patient's medical care. Students in the health professions who have the skills are invaluable to these community members in offering their knowledge to help.  

"Besides patient care hours, I think I learned a lot from her in general, because she's an older woman, she gives me a lot of cooking tips and life tips," said Reed. "It is nice talking to her and I know she likes talking to me, so it's mutually beneficial in that way.