Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum to host fundraiser for new exhibit

msn-l-godo321blastoff0910
The Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum “3,2,1 … Blast Off!” exhibit's construction was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Courtesy Photo Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum

Students and community members will be able to attend a fundraising event for Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum this week.

"Boots and Beer, a Parking Lot Affair" will begin at 7 p.m. Sept. 16 in the parking lot of Discovery Museum located at 5093 E. Remus Rd. The event will feature a performance by Mount Pleasant musician Douglas James and a 50/50 raffle for various prizes. 

The event is intended to raise money for the museum’s newest exhibit "3, 2, 1. Blast Off." The exhibit will feature a large climbing structure for kids to enjoy in the theme of a rocket ship taking flight.

“This exhibit has been on the docket since the museum was founded,” Executive Director Lisa Phelps said. “Getting this exhibit done is our priority.”

The museum has been raising money for this exhibit since 2013 and has already collected a total of $172,220 through donations. The museum hopes this public event will help raise the $92,480 they still need to finish the climbing structure.

Parking for the event will be in the nearby Morey Courts parking lot. Beer will be served on-site. Attendees must be 21 years old or older.

Tickets are $50 and come with two drink tickets.