SGA approves budget at in-person, introductory meeting

sga-9-13
SGA Cabinet members introduce themselves to members at its Sept. 13 meeting.

The Bovee University Center Auditorium filled with students once again as Central Michigan University's Student Government Association held its first in-person meeting since March 2020.

The meeting, which lasted from 7-8 p.m. Sept. 13, was mainly introductory for the new attendees. SGA Vice President Dylan Baker guided members through various presentations and guest speakers.

Here are the main takeaways from the Sept. 13 meeting:

• SGA voted to approve its operating budget for the 2021-22 academic year after a brief presentation by Treasurer Liv Swartz 
  • Speaker of the House and Senator elections will take place at next weeks Sept. 20 meeting 
  • SGA President Kate King announced the Student Budget Allocation Committee is seeking a new chair for the Fall 2021 semester. SGA will work with the Office of Student Activities and Involvement to fill the position.

The SBAC committee consists of 10 individuals who oversee funding allocations for RSOs who need to finance a project, program, conference or volunteer service. The chair manages the committee and helps to review all the applications for SBAC funding.

RSOs can apply for SBAC funding via Engage Central.

King closed the meeting by reminding members to participate in CMU's Family of the Year competition. Students can submit a short video of their families talking about how they've helped them through their college experience for a chance to win cash prizes. The deadline for entry was extended to Sept. 16. 

Submissions should be emailed to family@cmich.edu.

"It feels really good to back I think we saw that right away. Everyone seemed interested and were throwing out what their organizations were working on," King said. "I know that Dylan and I are both super happy to be back in-person."