Soccer earns third win of the season

e2de13c9-91c9-4b54-8a90-70450ee453b3
Ada senior Natalie Belsito gets nudged off the ball against EMU at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex, Thursday, April 1.

Ball possession and offensive pacing lead to Central Michigan soccer's third-straight win in a 1-0 victory against Eastern Illinois on Sunday.

CMU (3-3) earned its third shutout victory in a row as EIU (2-3-1) drops its second consecutive game.

How it happened

Scoring occurred quickly for CMU as redshirt freshman Gaelle Wells darted a shot into the right-side goal post off an accurate pass from sophomore Jaelyn Dobrowolski. The remainder of the first half was an even matchup in the stat sheet, but the Chippewas certainly played with more pace on the offensive end.

The second half was silent in the goal column as CMU effectively shut down EIU’s offensive attack. The Chippewas defense limited the Panthers to only three shots, and zero shots on goal in the final 45 minutes. Play became more physical as time wound down with CMU obtaining six fouls and EIU accumulating seven fouls in the second half.

Key Stats

CMU put up 13 shots and eight on goal compared to EIU’s eight shots and only one on goal.

CMU was called on 10 fouls and EIU was called for eight.

CMU had four corner opportunities, EIU had three. 

Key Performers

CMU’s Wells scored the only goal of the match, but also provided a lot of speed down the sides of the field and created good opportunities for her team.

EIU redshirt junior Faith Davies had seven saves on 13 shots faced, allowing only one goal.

Up Next

CMU’s final match of their three-game road trip will be against Miami (Ohio) at 4 p.m. on Thursday at Bobby Kramig Field in Oxford, Ohio.

Scoring Summary

1st (5:06) CMU (1-0) Gaelle Wells (Dobrowolski)