CM Life claims Pacemaker Award for work published in 2021

Central Michigan Life staff take a group photo outside Moore Hall in May, 2021.

Often regarded as "the Pulitzer Prize for collegiate journalism," Central Michigan Life came away with another Pacemaker Award for newspapers it published in 2021. 

The Associated Collegiate Press announced the winners during a virtual awards ceremony earlier this month. CM Life has either won the Pacemaker or qualified as a finalist nearly every year since 2013.

Like many other media organizations, CM Life staff worked mostly remotely due to COVID-19 health and safety guidelines. Despite constant challenges, CM Life endured one of its most difficult years.

2020-21 Editor-in-Chief Isaac Ritchey said a win during the pandemic year cements CM Life as one of the best student media organizations. 

"I was always proud of everything we were able to accomplish last year, especially when you take into account all the obstacles we faced," Ritchey said. "This honor is only reassurance of the impact our work has on campus and in the Mount Pleasant community."

CM Life continues to produce exemplary journalism in the 2021-22 academic year. Print editions are distributed twice a month while its website and social media pages are updated daily. 

Director of Student Media and CM Life adviser Dave Clark said CM Life's Pacemaker is a win to be celebrated by all staff members.

“Every staff member played a role that resulted in CM Life winning this award – from the newsroom to the advertising department. A Pacemaker is truly a team recognition,” Clark said. “In what was a weird, challenging, and difficult year, Issac and his crew rose to the occasion and delivered outstanding coverage. I could not be prouder of our students and this achievement.”