CRIME LOG: Skateboard stolen from porch, returned with apology note

shop-with-a-cop3273

A Mount Pleasant Police Department car sits outside Walmart on Dec. 12.

The following incidents were among those handled by Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan University Police Department from Sept. 26 to Oct. 3.

Sept. 26

A MPPD officer stopped at car at 2:38 a.m. by Appian Way and S. Mission St. because it did not have tail lights. The 19-year-old man driving the car was slurring his words and had glossy eyes. When asked for his license and registration, the driver said he did not have his wallet, and he had been drinking. He did not pass a sobriety test and had a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of 0.10. He was lodged at Isabella County Jail.

MPPD responded to a domestic violence call at 11:06 a.m. on E. Michigan St. A couple, a 30-year-old man and a 34-year-old woman, had a argument over feeding their child. The woman ran to the bathroom and slammed the door. The man went after her, grabbed her hair and pushed he into the towel rack on the wall. The man took her car without permission and left the house. She had a bruised arm and told officers this was not the first incident. Officers were able to find the man and he said nothing happened other than him throwing a cup of coffee outside. The man was lodged in Isabella County Jail. 

A 43-year-old man reported to MPPD at 11:13 a.m. on W. Locust St. that his skateboard was stolen from his porch. He estimated that the skateboard was worth $100. He told officers he suspected a 30-year-old man of stealing it. The skateboard was later found with a note on it apologizing to the owner for stealing. Additionally, the 43-year-old man told officers he believes the 30-year-old man also stole his Bluetooth speakers. Officers were unable to locate the speakers. The total estimate for the stolen items was $300.

MPPD officers responded to a domestic violence call at 10:23 p.m. on E. Preston St. A couple, a 24-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman, were arguing about the ownership of a laptop before officer arrived. During the argument, the man hit the woman in the head multiple times while trying to take the laptop from her. He also threw her phone on the ground when she tried to use it. He was gone when officers arrived. After investigating him, officers learned he had multiple arrest warrants. He was located and the situation was handed to the prosecutor's office.

Sept. 27

A child called 911 at 11:07 p.m. on S. Bradley St because he thought an assault was happening outside his house. When MMPD arrived they did not find any violence, but instead found a 39-year-old woman causing a disturbance. She was yelling and swearing at officers. She admitted she had been drinking all day. After refusing to lower her voice and return to her residence, she was arrested for disorderly conduct. Officers later found out the woman was on probation and a report was sent to her probation officer.

Sept. 28

An 18-year-old woman called CMUPD for a burglary at 4:30 p.m. in Thorpe Hall. The case is still open and CMUPD is investigating leads.

Sept. 29

University Facilities Management reported to CMUPD at midnight that some sidewalks on campus had been spray-painted with a business ad. It was later found out to be chalk and all of the sidewalks were cleaned up. The business was contacted and told to not do that again.

MPPD responded to a domestic assault at 7:27 p.m. on E. Broomfield St. between two 20-year-old women roommates. An argument started because one of the women had a dog in the apartment without permission and the apartment complex fined them $500. The other woman said she should not have to pay part of the fine because she does not own the dog. The dog owner started hitting the other woman and a physical fight started. Officers separated the women. The woman who was hit first did not press charges and no one was arrested. The situation was turned over to the prosecuting attorney's office.

Sept. 30 

A 19-year-old woman reported to CMUPD that her car had been keyed at 2 p.m. in Lot 39. She said the damage occurred between Sept. 28 and Sept. 29. Officers watched surveillance video from the parking lot, but did not see any activity near the car. The case is currently closed.

CMUPD responded to a suspicious phone call at 2:36 p.m. on E. Campus Drive. The 21-year-old man told officers he received a phone call from a 59-year-old man and the conversation turned uncomfortable. The incident did not happen on campus and was given to the appropriate agency, which in this case was the Saginaw-Chippewa Tribal Police Department.

An MPPD officer was called at 2:44 p.m. to Belle Tire by a 21-year-old man because his catalytic converter had been stolen from his car. His car was at Belle Tire for three days and it is unknown when the part was taken. There were no surveillance cameras that pointed in the direction of the car,  but officers are looking at cameras from other nearby areas to see if anything was recorded. The estimated value of the stolen item is $300.

Oct. 1

An MPPD officer watched a car stop in the middle of the road at 2:03 a.m. at the intersection of Court St. and Mosher St. An 18-year-old woman was driving and told the officer she did not have any alcohol. However, she did not pass a sobriety test and had a BAC of 0.10. She then admitted to having one drink before being pulled over. She was arrested for drunk driving and was lodged in Isabella County Jail.

City police were called at 11:45 a.m. to Meyer because a 29-year-old woman was caught stealing a lock box. The woman told officers she is a patient of the Methadone Clinic and that she needed to get methadone, but her husband forgot their lockbox which is needed for the medication. The situation was turned over to the city attorney. The estimated value of the stolen item is $129.

MPPD officers were called at 6:08 p.m. to McLaren Hospital because a 57-year-old man was acting belligerent. When asked to leave the property, the man swore at officers and demanded a ride to the casino. He eventually left, but officers were called back after he started harassing women in the parking lot. He told officers he would not leave unless he was given a ride to the casino. Officers arrested the man for disorderly conduct after he repeatedly refused to leave. After taking a breath test, he was found to have a BAC of 0.22.

Oct. 2

MPPD were called at 2:20 a.m. to McLaren Hospital because a 33-year-old man was using vulgar language in the emergency room. He became verbally aggressive to officers and medical staff after being told to quiet down. He asked a nurse for a glass of water, but started swearing at her before she could give him one. He was arrested for disorderly conduct and lodged at Isabella County Jail. He was uncooperative with corrections staff, so it is unknown if he was intoxicated. 

Oct. 3

CMUPD responded to a car theft at 2:15 a.m. in Lot 62. A 23-year-old man told officers someone broke into his car and stole his handgun. Officers investigated and found that a couple of minors stole the handgun.

CMUPD responded to another car theft at 2:23 a.m. in Lot 62. A 23-year-old man told officers $85 and his driver's license had been taken from his car. Officers believe this incident may be related to the earlier car theft in Lot 62.