Field Hockey falls 4-0 to No. 1 Iowa

20210924_travis_3
Central Michigan knocks off 23 ranked Kent State with a 1-0 win, Friday, Sept. 24, at the CMU Soccer/Field Hockey complex.

Central Michigan’s strong defensive effort wasn't enough to stop the No. 1 team in the nation from racking up goals in the Chippewas 4-0 loss to Iowa on Sunday.

The Chippewas fall to 3-9 overall and remain 1-3 in Mid-American Conference action. The Hawkeyes remain undefeated.

“I thought we did a great job on the defensive side, and we really stepped up for each other to help each other out,” said head coach Catherine Ostoich. “I think where we need to improve is the attacking side, we would get past the 50 then throw it away or we would pass it too far away and we just didn't capitalize on attacking opportunities.”

How It Happened

Hawkeyes midfielder Maddy Murphy wasted no time as she came out in the first quarter scoring the first goal. Iowa had one last opportunity to score in the first quarter off a penalty corner, but CMU junior goalkeeper Katie Maxim stuck her glove up in the net to force the ball high to end the first quarter.

The Chippewas started the second quarter off strong with a steal from an Iowa penalty corner by junior midfielder Rachel Ruttenberg. It wasn't soon after the Hawkeyes junior midfielder Esme Gibson responded by finding the back of the net through Maxim's leg to end the first half at 2-0.

After the half Iowa senior Anthe Nijziel returned with the heat by scoring in the opening minutes of the second half to make the score 3-0. Maxim had a crucial save to hold the Hawkeyes from scoring to end the quarter.

To start the final quarter Maxim started the Chippewas with a save off her leg holding the Hawkeyes from scoring, keeping the team’s chances alive. CMU defense was attacking the field as junior midfielder Lauren Buffington stole the ball from Iowa's attacker in front of the goal off a penalty corner, stopping them from scoring. The saves just weren't enough for CMU as Iowa’s Sofie Stribos found the back of the net as time ran out, ending the game at 4-0.  

Key Stats

Maxim finished the game with five saves.

Iowa’s midfielder Ellie Holley led the team with four shots. Nijziel aso finished the game with one goal and three shots.

What’s Next

The Chippewas are back at home as they face Ohio at 1 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 15 at Christy Freese Field.