Soccer tops Buffalo in final minute

soccer-9-26-2
Sophomore goalkeeper Allison Lapoint kick the ball off after making a save, Sept. 26, Lacrosse/Soccer complex.

The Buffalo crowd was rowdy expecting an overtime matchup, but became dead silent within seconds.

With 57 seconds left in the game, Central Michigan booted the ball up field, finding Laila Arab who took the potential game-winning shot.

She missed, but forced Buffalo’s keeper to dive. Elizabeth Chlystun sprinted towards the ball and put it in the back of the net while shattering the hearts of the stunned home crowd.

CMU (7-5) earned its fourth-straight win with a 1-0 Mid-American Conference victory against Buffalo (9-3-1) on Sunday.

How it Happened

The first half was defined by pace by both teams. Buffalo was able to control their defensive possession longer than the Chippewas, but gave up the ball on multiple occasions. CMU’s defense was able to keep the number one scoring offense in the MAC to zero first half goals. Both squads had six first half shots, and three on goal. CMU had three corner opportunities taking advantage of their offensive prowess but were also unable to score.

For the first 20 minutes of the second half CMU was on defense mode as they were unable to push the ball downfield. Slowly, but surely, the balance of the game began to even-out once again. 

But right as the end of regulation was near, the Chippewas found an opportunity. Around midfield, CMU senior Amanda Britain booted one all the way up to sophomore Laila Arab on the left side who forced a shot that the keeper had to block. Off the rebound sophomore Elizabeth Chlystun came flying into the net to ice the game.

“In the second half they changed their tactics, pumping the ball forward and put us under pressure,” said CMU head coach Jeremy Groves. “But we knew that’s how the game would play out and we’d be able to hit them on the counterattack to score like we did at the end.” 

Key Stats

CMU only had 10 shots, and six on goal compared to UB’s 23 shots and seven on goal.

CMU garnered three corner opportunities compared to UB’s one corner.

There was a total of 19 fouls, 11 on CMU and eight on UB.

Key Performers

Chlystun had the game winning goal on her only shot for her second goal in two games.

CMU sophomore goalkeeper Allison LaPointe made seven saves on 23 shots faced allowing no goals for another CMU shut-out victory.

Up Next

CMU is headed back home as they take on the Toledo Rockets at 6 p.m. on Thursday at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex.

“It’s probably going to be an extremely fast paced and high energy game, they’re going to press, and it’ll be extremely physical,” said Groves.

Scoring Summary

2nd (89:07) CMU (1-0) Elizabeth Chlystun