Late errors cost volleyball in loss to BGSU

vball-3-27-8
The Chippewas volleyball team fell to Miami 3-2 March 27 in McGuirk Arena.

Although they fought valiantly in McGuirk Arena, Central Michigan volleyball couldn’t stop the force that is Bowling Green State on Thursday, eventually losing 3-0.

The Chippewas fall to 8-11 on the season and 2-5 in Mid-American Conference play. BGSU improves to 11-6 on the year. They are a perfect 7-0 in MAC play.

“I felt like there were really good moments for us throughout the match and I felt like we had really good stretches of rallies,” said head coach Mike Gawlik. “One of the things that has to be a focus of ours going into Saturday’s match is the consistency of our play.”

How it happened

Neither team was willing to give an inch at the start of the first set. However, BGSU found their rhythm first, taking a 14-7 lead. Down big, sophomore middle blocker Ely Medendorf connected with a ball and buried it between the Falcons’ defenders, igniting the Chippewas bench. CMU continued to battle, but struggled to make a dent in BGSU’s lead as the Falcons breezed to a 25-19 victory in set one.

The Chippewas took a two-point advantage early in the second stanza following a service ace from senior middle blocker Lisbeth Rosario-Martinez. CMU tried to maintain the pressure, but the Falcons found a way to right the ship and took the lead. With BGSU ahead 21-12, the Chippewas went on a six-point run to cut the lead to three. However, it wasn’t enough as the Falcons took home set two 25-19.

Senior outside hitter Savannah Thompson ratcheted the intensity and let it fly in the third, recording six kills. As a result, CMU found itself ahead for the majority of the set. But, following a back-and-forth battle down the stretch, the Falcons tied it at 17. The Chippewas answered back, taking a 22-19 lead. The Chippewas would allow six of the final seven points, allowing BGSU capitalized to lock up the third stanza 25-23.

Key Performers

Thompson led the offensive attack for CMU, finishing with nine kills. Medendorf added seven kills while maintaining a .875 hitting percentage.

Senior setter Grace Butler and sophomore setter Kamryn Olson ended the night tied in assists with 14.

Freshman libero Aly Gurtiza continued to lead the way defensively for the Chippewas, finishing with 18 digs.

Key Stats

The Falcons feature a strong block and continued that on Thursday, finishing with 11 total blocks, five more than CMU.

What’s Next

The Chippewas wrap up their homestand against BGSU at 11 a.m. on Saturday.