Jefferson Campbell named new dean of the College of Arts and Media

jefferson-campbell
Jefferson Campbell

Over the holiday break, Interim Provost and Executive Vice President Richard Rothaus named Jefferson Campbell the next dean of the College of Arts and Media according to a Dec. 20 press release.

Effective July 1, Campbell will replace Betty Kirby, who has been serving as the interim dean since Janet Hethorn retired in 2020.

Campbell works at the University of Minnesota where he has filled several roles since 2005. He is a professor of bassoon and has served as department head of music, the interim associate dean of the School of Fine Arts, interim associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts and interim associate dean of the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, a position he has held since July of 2021.

Campbell has a bachelor's degree in music education from Western Kentucky University, a master's degree in bassoon performance and chamber music from the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and a doctoral degree in bassoon performance from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. 

In his new role, Campbell will lead the faculty and staff of the six academic departments and four interdisciplinary programs in the College of Arts and Media.

Campbell was selected as one of four finalists who visited campus and participated in open forums the week of Nov. 29. 

During his forum, Campbell discussed retention and the possibility of merging departments in the College of the Arts and Media.

"I'm very aware of the challenges that are facing your campus," Campbell said. "The enrollment doesn't scare me. I have quite an extensive background in recruitment and retention, it's something I'm passionate about."

Since August, a 13-member search committee led by Senior Vice Provost for Academic Administration Ray Christie was assisted by Greenwood/Asher & Associates to fill the position.