Q&A: Hopewell Ranch director heals community with horses

jodi-stuber-blizzard

Jodi Stuber holds Blizzard, a Himalayan rabbit at Hopewell Ranch, 6410 Leider Rd., Weidman Michigan on Dec 2. Blizzard is one of 18 other rabbits at the ranch being trained as therapy bunnies. 

Since 2004, Jodi Stuber, the executive director and equine specialist at Hopewell Ranch, has used horses to hold therapy sessions for people who have depression, anxiety, trauma and physical disabilities.

The therapy farm, located at 6410 Leider Rd. in Weidman, has 15 equines, 18 rabbits, 20 chickens, six ducks, seven goats, two dogs and a cat. Stuber also has mental health practitioners on staff. 

Stuber has worked with Central Michigan University in the past to create the registered student organization Students Help at Hopewell. The RSO became inactive after the COVID-19 pandemic began, but Stuber said she would like to see it start again. Stuber also wants to hold events at the ranch for students during stressful exam weeks so they can hold the rabbits, pet goats and do other activities. 

The ranch holds a veteran’s program called Project Solomon. Stuber is co-authoring a book under the same title, which will be released May 21, 2022.   

Central Michigan Life spoke with Stuber about Hopewell Ranch and her experiences of helping her community, while coping with her own struggles along the way.   

CM Life: What services does Hopewell Ranch Offer? 

Stuber: We do equine assisted therapy, but we partner with all the animals here. We have a veteran's program called Project Solomon. We have a summer program called Unbridled Potential for children aged 8-15, which is designed to help children build relationships and emotional regulation. They have a mentor that’s human and a four-legged buddy, which is one of our horses.

How has Hopewell Ranch supported students in the past? 

The equestrian team came out for a tour. We’ve hosted socials before. We’ve actually had students do fundraisers out here. In the past we had a fun run called Bubba Jack’s Donkey Dash put on by a running club from CMU and the money raised went to us. I’m open to more relationships with Central. If students choose us and want to help us, that’s lovely. If they just need us, we’re here. 

The day that young man shot and killed his parents, (Students Help at Hopewell) were here and asked if they could stay the whole day. Not only was Hopewell safe for them physically, it was also safe for them mentally and emotionally to process what happened.   

What are the benefits of what you do for visitors? 

A lot of the times visitors see themselves mirrored in the horse that we partner them with. That is profound when you see emotion happening in the horse and you say, ‘does this remind you of anyone?’ And they say, ‘well yeah it reminds me of me.’ We had a session with a veteran and his horse kept jogging around him. I asked, ‘what’s happening?’ and he said, ‘she’s jittery; she’s really nervous.’ I asked, ‘well, how are you?’ and he said, ‘well, I’m jittery; I’m really nervous.’ The horse actually picks up on the cues from the human and becomes like a barometer for what’s going on. 

What are some physical benefits of riding a horse? 

It helps with focus; it helps to calm and it helps to balance breathing. Horses are prey animals, so the fact they even allow us on their backs is nothing short of miraculous in my mind. I’m always telling clients to look where they want to go because the horse can feel your head turning, and they’re going to understand those little nuances of movement. It’s not about dominating, it’s more of a partnership. 

How does Hopewell Ranch help veterans? 

A lot of our veterans have come from traumatic pasts, so before they enter the military, there’s something there. They’re trying to either escape from it or they feel like that’s their best option, so they go into the military. The horses just naturally know who needs them. We might have an idea of what trauma somebody’s dealt with, but I’ll let the horses be the barometer when we go into the pasture. 

How do you think Hopewell Ranch’s impact can be measured in the community? 

I’ve gotten beautiful feedback from a lot of people, and this story really measures impact to me: I was having a very rough day and things were not going well for me and I had to leave. I just needed to clear my head. My phone rang and I answered it; it was a veteran. He said, ‘I just needed to call you today to tell you thank you, because if you weren’t there doing Project Solomon, I wouldn’t be here on the other end of this line.’ That’s pretty impactful and I don’t take it for granted at all, because all I’m doing is holding space for people.

What inspired you to start Hopewell Ranch? 

In January 2003, my husband, Ty, and I found out we were pregnant. Sadly, I developed Toxemia. I spent 17 days between two hospitals. On June 1, the nurse came in and couldn’t find a heartbeat. The next day I gave birth to her and, of course, she’s not alive, but she’s perfect. She looked a lot like our daughter. 

I’ve been through some pretty hard lows, but that was definitely the lowest point of my life. I told Ty we needed to name her, and I said we should name her Hope, and immediately the Lord spoke to me and said that hope will rise again. I was discharged from the hospital and articles about horses and healing kept coming across my path. I went into a Tractor Supply and there was a book on the shelf called Hope Rising.

Has running the ranch helped you with your own personal struggles? 

I dealt with depression and anxiety for a long time, but I think when you start living for others, that kind of stuff gets pushed to the back. I love my life. I haven’t always, but I really do right now. I’m so grateful for what God has done for me. I used to scream at God, ‘Why am I alive?’ I was suicidal. I got through it, and here I am helping others.  

How does your faith inform the way you run this organization?

My faith informs all my decisions, from bringing in a new animal, affording something, fundraisers, building pastures and spaces for animals and what we need to do for our humans. It’s just making sure that everybody can feel safe, whether that’s physically, emotionally or spiritually. I am not here to judge people or assign my values to others. I’m just here to love them and to care for them the best way I can. It’s very sad when people use faith as a weapon as opposed to what it is meant for, which is to love people. 

Can you talk about one of your memorable experiences with a horse? 

One of our horses comes out of a very abused and neglectful past. Mercy’s story is pretty incredible. I had just found out that a friend of mine had passed away. I was really grieving, but I had to pull it together for a session. Mercy kept coming up to me. She put her muzzle in my face, she put her head on my shoulder and then she put her muzzle against my heart. I lost it; I was crying. I was like, ‘you’re not supposed to be here with me; I’m not the client.’ She was picking up on my sorrow and she wanted to comfort me. 

What is your favorite part of the ranch? 

As a whole, it’s a testament to God and his faithfulness, so I can’t say any one thing. All of it is so precious and sacred in its own way because it’s a place for healing. Kids like to ask me who my favorite horse is and I’m like, ‘that would be like saying who my favorite child or grandchild is.’ I can’t answer that because I love them all.