Gymnastics picks up first win of the season in impressive performance over Bowling Green

08b98888-e91c-40d0-80a9-38c5c68a7364
CMU Gymnastics competes in the Maroon and Gold meet Saturday, Dec.4, in McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan gymnastics put on a tremendous display Friday night at Anderson Arena en route to a convincing 193.950-190.425 win in Bowling Green. 

Central controlled the momentum of the meet from wire to wire and did not trail to start a single rotation. The Chippewas’ win is the first of the young season, bumping them to 1-1 in conference competition and 1-2 overall. 

Starting on the uneven parallel bars, CMU wasted no time coming out of the gates with four marks of 9.750+ in their first rotation and boasting a team score of 48.800. Junior standout Hannah DeMers posted a 9.900 to lead the way. It was the first mark of 9.900+ this season for the Chippewas and secured DeMers the individual win in the event. 

They carried this energy into their vault rotation, recording a team score of 48.875. This was good for their best score of the season in a single event. CMU got a pair of 9.850’s from DeMers and sophomore Katie Kowalski, who shared the win in the event.

Kowalski managed to pick up her first individual win of the season with her performance on the vault. Also picking up their first wins on the season were sophomore Adriana Bustelo and freshman Quinn Skrupa, who shared the top honors in the balance beam with marks of 9.825 each. Junior Ashley Veglucci recorded her first win of the season in the floor exercise with a score of 9.825.

CMU exceeded their individual event team score from the last meet in three different events (bars, vault, and floor), and are showing many signs of improvement up and down the roster. In just her third collegiate meet, Skrupa managed a personal best mark on the beam with her winning score of 9.825.

CMU stays on the road next as they visit Ball State for their third consecutive in-conference road meet. The matchup is slated to begin at 1 PM on Sunday, January 30th in Muncie.