Baseball drops season opener against West Virginia

baseball-4-18-4
Coach and team talk to pitcher Logan Buczkowski on the mound, April 18, Theunissen Stadium. Buczkowski unfortunately had a poor outing today, giving up 4 runs, and was eventually taken out of the game.

Difficulties were expected and then realized for a Chippewas team that hasn’t practiced outdoors since October.

The Chippewas fought back towards the end of the game, but it was too little, too late as they dropped their season opener to West Virginia 13-8.

In these teams fourth meeting in two years WVU (1-0) were able to get their second win against CMU (0-1) in a run heavy matchup.

All was well until the top of the third inning for the Chippewas, when they let up six runs. Four of those runs came off a grand slam from WVU first baseman Grant Hussey. 

CMU pitcher Jordan Patty got the opening day start. He threw 76 pitches through 3.1 innings and gave up nine earned runs off two homers, seven hits, and four walks. The Chippewas faced 10 different Mountaineers on the bump.

Michigan State transfer Adam Proctor had a hot start to his career as a Chippewa with a long-bomb in his first at-bat with the team. CMU outfielder Jakob Marsee also had his first homerun to go along with three hits, four RBI’s, and one run on six at-bats.

Last season the Mountaineers were nationally ranked when the Chippewas faced them, but this year they’re projected to finish second to last in the Big 12 Conference. 

CMU will attempt come back swinging when they face WVU again at 11 a.m. after their battle against Coastal Carolina at 3 p.m. Saturday. All three games this weekend will be played at Spring Brooks Stadium in Conway, S.C.

Standout right-hander Andrew Taylor is expected to get the start Saturday against the Chanticleers.