Women’s basketball loses fourth player to transfer portal

dsc-0101

Head coach heather Osterle talks to her team during a time out, Jan. 13 in McGuirk Arena.

GENERAL: Despite high scoring performances by both Molly Davis and Tiana Timpe, the CMU women's basketball team fell to the Ohio Bobcats with a final score of 75-65, Jan. 13 in McGuirk Arena. This loss takes the Chippewas record to 2-12 on the season so far.

Already down three members of its 2020 recruiting class, Central Michigan women’s basketball will continue relying on freshmen production the remainder of the year as its last sophomore decided to transfer. 

Guard Carlee Crabtree entered the transfer portal On Feb. 7. She is the fourth Chippewa to enter the portal since Mid-January. 

The Coldwater native appeared in 25 games at CMU, mainly coming off the bench. During her two seasons with the Chippewas, Crabtree recorded 11 points, eight assists and four rebounds. 

Crabtree set career-highs in minutes, points and steals against Western Michigan on Feb. 6, 2021, recording three points and two steals in 13 minutes of action. 

Before coming to Mount Pleasant, Crabtree was a four-time All-State selection by the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press. In addition to receiving four-straight Branch County All-Area First Team honors. 

The transfer leaves the Chippewas with nine players heading into their final eight games.

CMU faces Kent State in McGuirk Arena on Wednesday at 7 p.m.