Shooting plagues CMU men's basketball in loss to Ohio

192aa69c-230e-4e64-8284-a6480069b179

Gen: CMU men’s basketball defeats Western 65-55, Thursday, Feb. 3, in McGuirk Arena.

Photo:North Miami senior Ralph Bissainthe shoots a three against Western, Thursday, Feb. 3, in McGuirk Arena.

Energy was down and shots were cold for the Chippewas in their Mid-American Conference contest against the Ohio Bobcats as they fell 76-50. 

The Chippewas (6-19, 5-9) dropped a fifth straight game, this time to Ohio (23-5, 14-3) on Tuesday.

Going into the locker room at the end a close first 20 minutes, the Chippewas were down by 11 and were still in reach to come back and change the game. But returning from the half the Bobcats took the game into their own hands. 

Ohio took advantage of the Chippewas' low energy and took a close game and turned it into a game of multiple one-sided runs. 

The Chippewas were unable to put a stop to Tommy Schmock as the crowd held signs calling him the flame thrower. Schmock went 7-of-14 from the outside. 

What started in a close, physical, high-energy game soon turned into a one-sided scoring game in favor of the Bobcats. The Chippewas struggled all throughout the matchup at the hoop going 20-for-64 from the floor.

The Chippewas shined in the rebound game in the first half, grabbing 29 rebounds to the Bobcats 19. Although the Chippewas thrived on the boards, it wasn't enough to keep them in line with the Bobcats. 

The Chippewas attempted to make a comeback early in the second half, but the Chippewas were plagued from beyond the arc going 4-for-22 making just one in the second half. 

The Bobcats went on a 16-3 run with less than three minutes to play, setting the Chippewas back by 30 with no time to recover. 

Ralph Bissainthe led the Chippewas with 12 points and nine rebounds. Not far behind was Brian Taylor and freshman Kevin Miller with 11 points apiece.

Schmock led the Bobcats with 23 points. Ben Vander Plas finished the game with a triple-double with 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. 

The Chippewas will continue their three-game week as they travel to Oxford Ohio to take on the Miami (Ohio) Redhawks on Thursday at 7 p.m.