CHP graduate certificate could be Michigan's first program approved by International Dyslexia Association

Three year program called SLLIC focuses on teaching children with literacy disorders

corona-on-campus-march-20-10

Cincinnati freshman Johnny Evers Smith eats his lunch March 20 in the Health Professions Building. 

The College of Health Professions (CHP) now offers a certificate that is awaiting approval to be the first program in Michigan accredited by the International Dyslexia Association (IDA).

Last year, the Academic Senate approved the Structured Language and Literacy Intervention Certificate (SLLIC), within the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) in CHP. 

SLLIC is an interdisciplinary graduate certificate that focuses on teaching children with literacy disorders, like dyslexia, according to Dr. Katie Squires, Speech-Language Pathologist and faculty member of the CSD department.

“It is providing systematic, explicit diagnostic instruction across the four domains of language: speaking, listening, reading and writing,” Squires said.

The five quality standards as stated by the National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities are:

1. Provide ongoing high-quality professional development.

2. Align curriculum and instructional strategies to meet the needs of students with learning disorders.

3. Use valid and appropriate assessments that reveal students' strengths, needs and achievement levels.

4. Develop a comprehensive understanding of the "whole child", in order to successfully achieve HQES.

5. Use transition planning to prepare students for success in college or a career. 

SLLIC is targeted at graduate students going into speech pathology or education, but anyone that meets the requirements can register. Counselors and parents can complete the certificate as well.

The CSD department is in the process of trying to obtain financial aid for students that have graduated but want to return to CMU for the certificate.

Eligibility

To be eligible for SLLIC, applicants must have a bachelor's degree and live in Michigan.

To complete the certificate, the student must take six required classes over a span of three years, and the classes are easily available according to Dr. Squires. They are offered online and in hybrid formats on Fridays and Saturdays.

The following classes are included in the certificate:

· Supporting Students with Literacy Disorders

· Literacy Clinical Practicum

· Assessment, Instruction and Intervention in Reading

· Diagnosis and Treatment of Reading Difficulties

· Knowledge of Diverse Readers, Including Dyslexia

· Literacy Education: Theory and Practice

· Knowledge and Practice Examination for Effective Reading Instruction (KPEERI) exam

SLLIC is currently awaiting accreditation by the IDA, which would indicate that the program meets the IDA’s five quality standards and students that complete the certificate would be considered Structured Literacy/Dyslexia Specialists according to Dr. Squires.

*Editor's Note: A correction was made to the acronym of the International Dyslexia Association after publishing.