MASS kicks off Black History Month with “A Mindful Approach”

Over 50 students attended the event about mental health and mindfulness

img-5917-1

The Office of Multicultural Academic Services (MASS) kicked off their health and wellness events for Black History Month with “A Mindful Approach” in Kulhavi Hall Rooms 141 and 142 at 5 p.m. 

Over 50 students attended the event on Feb. 1, including a large portion of the CMU Softball team.

“We’re just open to learning more about Black History Month and having an open discussion about it,”  senior Samantha Mills said.

The event started with a discussion about the Black Community and mental health services led by Ashley Watters, a counselor from Central Michigan University (CMU).

Watters covered the struggles surrounding mental health in the Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) communities. She explained the issues that people within the BIPOC community deal with such as stigma and resource disparity.

“20% of people in the BIPOC community are saying that they are struggling psychologically but not doing anything about it,” Watters said.

After, she discussed the resources on campus that are available for students.

The CMU Counseling Center offers free one on one counseling, “Let’s Talk” appointments, 20-minute consultations, urgent appointments and a wide range of groups for students to join. 

Specific counselors can be requested by students as well. 

Following Watters' discussion, Lynn Curry, a meditation instructor with McNair Scholars at CMU, led the audience through meditation exercises.

She opened the presentation by asking for everyone's idea of meditation, and then explained what it is and how it worked.

“It’s taking the dispersive mind and substituting it for another object of attention,” Curry said.

She led the audience in a meditation practice that she said can be done anywhere. She instructed participants to sit heavy in their chair, put their feet flat on the ground, gaze forward and do breathing exercises.

If there are ever thoughts that fill your mind when trying the meditate, Curry said "choose to simply let go of your thoughts."

She emphasized the importance of focusing on your breath during practice.

MASS will be hosting several more events throughout February for Black History Month.