Chippewa lacrosse drops home tilt with Michigan

lacrosse-2-27-06

Sophomore midfielder Makenna Huhn  defends against a drive by Butler midfielder Holly Hall, Sunday Feb. 27, at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex.

Michigan handed CMU  a 17-13 loss Sunday at the CMU lacrosse complex, ending the Chippewas' 3-game win streak and dropping them to 3-3 on the season. 

CMU got off to a slow start, trailing 6-1 in the first quarter. The Chippewas continued to battle in the second quarter as they went into the break down 11-5. Turnovers plagued CMU in the first half as they ended the first half doubling Michigan in the turnover column 10-5.

CMU was led by Courtney Burke and Maggie Diebold, who both had two goals in the first half.

Michigan came out hot after the break dominating the third quarter scoring 5 goals. CMU only managed to knock in two goals. The game looked to be over going into the fourth quarter with the Chippewas down 16-7.

CMU did not give up though mounting a huge comeback scoring 6 goals in the fourth quarter. Audrey Whiteside led the charge with 3 goals in the quarter. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough as Michigan took the road victory.

Whiteside and Diebold both scored 4 goals each in the loss. Whiteside finished the game with a team best 7 points adding 3 assists with her 4 goals.

Diebold now has hat tricks in the last three games. Diebold has also scored 11 goals in the last three games. She has a team leading 15 goals on the season.

CMU will look to bounce back after the tough loss on March 10 as they take on Kent State at home.