CMU softball falls 4-1 to Notre Dame

softball-3-25-3
Center fielder throws the ball to the infield on Friday, March 25 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Despite a strong defense and a dodging play at home plate, Central Michigan (13-13, 4-1) lost to Notre Dame 4-1 Wednesday. 

Despite strong defense and stranding base runners in the third and fourth, Notre Dame (25-6, 5-2) fought its way to victory with Brooke Marquez's solo home run in the fifth. This broke a 1-1 stalemate. 

The Fighting Irish took the lead early in the second inning with a fly out to right field from Carii Kloss, which scored Jane Kronenberger. 

Coming off of winning MAC Player of the Week, Abbey Tolmie tied the game in the third by dodging a tag at home plate. She scored on a single from Michaleigh Vallimont.

The Fighting Irish extended their lead in the sixth with an RBI single from Kronenberger to knock in Abbey Sweet and make the score 3-1. The Fighting Irish would end the inning with another run, when Karina Gaskins drove in Payton Tidd with a sacrifice fly. 

Grace Letho pitched a complete game in the circle for CMU. She tossed three strikeouts, three base on balls, and gave up four runs. 

Vallimont lead the Chippewas offense going 2-for-3 on the day with an RBI.

The Chippewas have a little bit of break before they head to Kent Ohio to take on Kent State on Tuesday April 5 at 3 p.m.