CMU gymnastics takes home five individual awards at MAC Championship

gymnastics-championship-10
Head coach Christine Macdonald is honored as the MAC coach of the year at the MAC championship, Saturday March 19, at Eastern Michigfan University.

CMU’s Mid-American Conference title headlined a busy Friday afternoon, but a handful of Chippewas also won individual awards at the conclusion of the meet.

The first Chippewa to hear her name called was senior Sierra DeMarinis, who took home the Co-MAC Senior Gymnast of the Year award, along with Northern Illinois’ Tara Kofmehl. DeMarinis has been an integral part of Central’s success this year, particularly as the anchor of Central’s floor lineup. 

The next Chippewa to win an award, junior Hannah DeMers, earned perhaps the most prestigious of the bunch as she was named MAC Gymnast of the Year. DeMers has been rock-solid all season in all four events, as evidenced by her tally of MAC Gymnast of the Week, which ended up at five for the season. She is the first CMU athlete to win the award since Denelle Pedrick did in 2019. In addition, she won the MAC All-Around Title with her mark of 39.225 for the meet. 

CMU could not have accomplished everything it did this season without head coach Christine MacDonald, who was named MAC Gymnastics Coach of the Year. MacDonald has been with the program since 1988 when she served as a student athlete, and has been head coach for 3 seasons now. 

Sophomore Katie Kowalski shared a win with Western Michigan’s Halle Faulkner, which earned the pair the MAC individual vault title. Kowalski was named to the All-MAC first team at the conclusion of the regular season.