Kevin Miller receives All-MAC honors

dsc-0141

Chicago freshman Kevin Miller goes up for a layup during the game against Eastern Michigan on Feb. 15 in McGuirk Arena.

Before Central Michigan takes its cinderella story head on in the Mid-American Conference Tournament, individual awards were announced.

Freshman point guard Kevin Miller was honored with a placement on the MAC All-Freshman team and was an All-MAC team honorable mention.

This is the second year in a row that CMU has had a player named to the All-Freshman team (last year was Aundre Polk). It marks the first time since 2012-13 that CMU has had two players in consecutive years honored with the award.

Miller is also the first Chippewa since David Dileo in 2020 to be named an honorable mention for the All-MAC teams. 

“Boopie” as many like to call him, turned in one of the most impressive freshman campaigns by a Chippewa ever. He led the team with 13.1 points per-game. He ranked third in the MAC with 4.5 assists per-game, in addition to an outing where he dropped 12 dimes, the highest of any MAC player all season and the only player to have two games with double digit assists.

His highest scoring game of the season was on Feb. 12 in a competitive matchup against the Ohio Bobcats. He dropped 25 points, five rebounds, six assists and three steals.

But the game that sticks out the most as a turning point for the young guard was his Feb. 1 matchup against Bowling Green. He scored 21 points on 10-16 shooting, grabbed seven boards, dished 12 assists and two steals for his first career triple double.

Watch as the freshman phenom leads his team against the number one seeded Toledo Rockets at 11 a.m. on Thursday at the MAC Tournament at the Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, OH.