LETTER TO THE EDITOR: CMU faculty, students and staff express support for Ukraine
To the Editor,
We would like to express our heartfelt sorrow and dismay with the Russian government’s appalling attack on Ukraine. We call on the CMU community to stand with Ukraine.
- We know that this unjust war is having horrific effects on the lives of Ukrainian citizens. We stand with you. We admire your bravery and wish we could do more to help.
- For our CMU students, faculty and staff who have family or friends in Ukraine, we stand with you.
- For the tens of thousands of Michigan residents who are from Ukraine or whose families have Ukrainian heritage, we stand with you. We are you.
- For members of the CMU community and Michiganders who have connections to Ukraine’s neighbors and to residents of the countries who are working to help those fleeing the war in Ukraine and who now fear for the safety of their own countries: we stand with you.
- For residents of Russia who are brave enough to take to the streets to oppose your government’s actions, we appreciate the risks that you are taking to call for an end to the war on Ukraine.
Our slogan is “We do.” So, what can we do? We can show our support for Ukrainians who are fighting against the war and make it known that we are opposed to the war. We can find ways to help the Ukrainians that have been forced to flee their country. Once the fighting ends, we can find ways to help those whose homes and cities have been needlessly destroyed.
Wear yellow and blue, or post sunflowers on social media. Express your support for Ukraine to your government representatives. Attend rallies against the war. Donate to charities that are helping those forced to leave Ukraine. And if you have friends or family in Ukraine, tell them that we care – that we stand with Ukraine.
Slava Ukraini! Heroiam slava!
Shasta Sabo, Mallary Greenlee-Wacker, Michael Sceniak, Mark Wacker, Jennifer Schisa, Megi Kourteva, Thomas Gehring, Traci Goldsworthy, Philip Oshel, Kaitlyn Whitefoot, Kirsten Nicholson, Sydney Byrne, Dylan Powell, Travis Rainey, Cynthia Damer, Dustin Brewer, Xantha Karp, Nancy Seefelt, Steve Gorsich, Jessica Lahr, Michael Conway, Jessica Lapp, Mariana Rosca, Steve Juris, Jesse Bakke, Eric Linton, Deb Linton, Daelyn Woolnough, Michelle Steinhilb, Blake Cahill, Yannick Marchalant, Madelyn Offer, Karin Johnson, Shanna Wenzlick, Kevin Park, Julien Rossignol, Liz Alm, and Deric Learman.
We are all CMU faculty, staff and students.