Student with history of drug possession arrested for exposing himself to police officer

andrew-leyden-mug
Andrew Leyden / courtesy photo

A Central Michigan University student is facing multiple charges after he was arrested last week for exposing himself to a university police officer and injuring another. 

CMUPD officers Joshua Chapman and Jacqueline Grigg were hosting a student outreach event  March 24 in Kulhavi Hall Room 146. 

Andrew Leyden, 19, entered the room and began calling a Black student the n-word while nudging them. That student told Leyden to stop multiple times, according to the felony complaint provided by the Isabella County Trial Court.

Leyden approached Grigg, making sexual remarks toward her. Leyden attempted to touch Grigg’s face and then revealed his genitals to her.

Grigg told Leyden he was under arrest and attempted to handcuff him. Leyden fought with both Grigg and Chapman. While gaining control and handcuffing Leyden, Chapman injured his left wrist and required medical attention. 

Officers searched Leyden's backpack and discovered three packages of medical marijuana, weighing approximately 171 grams along with a digital scale, a laptop, a marijuana grinder, and multiple metallic stickers commonly used during the sale of LSD (Lysergic acid diethylamide). The stickers were held in a Ziplock bag and weighed approximately 25 grams including packaging.  

Upon investigating Leydens room with a search warrant, police located eight empty marijuana bags, a black pellet handgun, official documents regarding blotter acid, and a bottle containing a clear liquid believed to be LSD. 

Drug offenses a month earlier

On Feb. 24, CMUPD officers Grigg and Sarah Cuthbertson responded to a fire alarm going off in Carey Hall room 811 at approximately 11:20 p.m. Upon arriving, the officers smelled marijuana and burnt plastic, according to the report.

The officers, along with the resident hall director, entered the room to check for a possible fire. They discovered a small undisclosed amount of marijuana and psilocybin mushrooms on a table in the common room. Officers spoke with the occupants of the room, Leyden and roommate Angelo Green. Officers learned that the mushrooms were purchased from a student identified as Ryan Cook, 19.

Officers made contact with room 703 in Carey Hall, where Cook lived, and spoke with his roommate before noticing a pouch of marijuana on a desk. Officers then obtained a search warrant for the room. They seized the marijuana and also located a large psilocybin mushroom in a bag and there was also a scale located near the mushroom on Cook's desk.

Cook was interviewed the next day by the CMU Police Department and admitted to owning the drugs. Cook said he sold some psilocybin mushrooms to Leyden in Cook’s dorm room.

Leyden was charged for possession of marijuana and LSD. He could face a year in prison and/or a $2,000 fine. 

Along with his charges from Feb. 24, Leyden is charged with three felonies including the delivery/manufacturing of Marijuana, assault/resisting arrest causing injury - both being a four year felony each - resisting arrest - a two-year felony - and aggravated indecent exposure, which is a two-year high court misdemeanor. Leyden is being held at a $5,000 bond.

Leyden is scheduled to appear in court April 14.