CMU softball falls at Michigan

20220409-img-1758
General cap: CMU Softball takes the win against Northern Illinois Huskies, Saturday, April 9, at Margo Jonker Stadium. With a clean sweep of 4-0, the overall team's record stands at 15-15. Photo cap: Sophomore catcher, Kelsey Alexander, warming up prior to the game against the Huskies, Saturday, April 9, at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Despite taking an early lead, Central Michigan (16-7, 7-4) fell to the No. 22 Michigan Wolverines 5-1  Tuesday at Alumni Field. 

The fourth inning became busy for both teams as the Chippewas got on top first thanks to a solo home run from redshirt sophomore Kelsey Alexander.

The Wolverines quickly loaded the bases on a rip up the middle, a walk and a hit by pitch. Kristina Burkhardt worked the count and was walked, walking in a run to bring it even at 1. A Chippewas pitching change didn't faze Melina Livingston as she stepped up to the plate and launched a grand slam towards left field to put the Wolverines up 5-1. 

Kaitlyn Bean got the start in the circle for the Chippewas, pitching three innings and allowing four runs. Grace Lehto pitched in relief, allowing one run on four hits. 

The Chippewas bats woke up in the sixth inning with a leadoff single up the left field line by redshirt sophomore Skylar Coberley and then advanced on a wild pitch by the Wolverines new pitcher Annabelle Widra. Although there was a runner in scoring position, the Chippewas failed to capitalize on the opportunity to score. 

The Chippewas defense stepped up to hold the Wolverines before a last chance to spark the bats. The Chippewas left two Wolverines stranded on a 6-5-3 double play to end the inning. 

With two outs in the last breath for the Chippewas, Abbey Tolmie was given a base after getting hit by a pitch for the second time in the game to give the Chippewas life, in the seventh but Shannon Stein grounded out to shortstop ending the game.

The Chippewas will head to Akron Ohio for a three-game series beginning on Friday at 3 p.m.