Open forums for VP of Student Affairs scheduled for next week, students encouraged to attend

stock-1
The Bovee University Center is across the street from Park Library and offers various student services, ample study space, and delicious food.

EDITOR'S NOTE: CM Life was informed by University Communications that the dates of the open forums were moved to April 13, 14 and 15 due to scheduling issues. Times and locations remain the same.

The university announced this week that finalists for the position of Vice President for Student Affairs will visit campus April 13-15 for interviews and open forums.

The names and profiles of the candidates themselves are expected to be released later this week according to University Communications. 

Open forums are held for high-level administrative positions to give the campus community the chance to ask candidates questions and assess their priorities if hired.

Each candidate will attend three different forums in the University Center on the days they visit campus. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend the campus-wide forums from 3-3:50 p.m. 

Students specifically are asked to attend evening forums from 5:30-6:20 p.m. to avoid conflicts with class schedules. 

Shawna Patterson-Stephens, vice president and chief diversity officer, serves as chair of the search committee. The committee is charged with vetting candidates and providing valuable input in determining the selection of finalists for the position. Other committee members are:

• Jonathan Glenn, associate athletic director/student leadership, athletics.
  • Addison Hoekstra, undergraduate student.
  • Eltaro Hooper, civil rights and Title IX investigator, Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity.
  • Anne Hornak, faculty, educational leadership.
  • Kate King, undergraduate student and president, Student Government Association.
  • Laura Martinez, officer, CMU Police Department.
  • Eric Pouncil, graduate student.
  • Erik Rodriguez, public relations manager, Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe.
  • James Span Jr., executive director, Student Inclusion and Diversity.
  • Ayeba Wilson, graduate student.
  • Kyle Pybus-Jerome, ceremonies and events coordinator, President’s Office (Admin Support/Human Resources representative).

The VP will be responsible for "the management, development, and coordination of services, programs and activities designed to complement and enhance the whole student experience," the position posting reads. 

Included in Student Affairs are the offices of: Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity, Counseling Center, Leadership Institute, Residence Life, Sexual Aggression Services, Student Activities, Student Conduct, Student Disability Services, Student Media, University Recreation and the Volunteer Center. 

Executive search firm DHR Global is assisting CMU in this search.

Visit CMU's website for a schedule of all upcoming executive search forums