Sleepy Dog Books to host downtown block party for grand opening

Mount Pleasant's only bookstore in the downtown area, Sleepy Dog Books, will have its grand opening block party on May 6 from 5-8 p.m. 

Sleepy Dog Books is located at 120 E. Broadway St. The block party event will take place on Broadway Street between Main Street and University Street. 

Besides books, this business will offer customers other products such as eco-friendly stuffed animals, candles, bags, signs, bookmarks and journals from small businesses in Michigan and from women owned businesses. 

The family-owned bookstore is going to offer indoor and outdoor seating for people to enjoy reading on site and is welcoming of "friendly" dogs. 

The owners of Sleepy Dog Books, Riley and Jennifer Justis, said the event will have giveaways, live music and activities for children put on by Art Reach and For Arts Sake. 

"We are thrilled with the excitement that the community has already shown us as we lead up to our grand opening," Jennifer said.

The event will also have a food stand that will be operated by Coldwell Banker. The profits from this food stand will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) will also have a table for literacy resources for children. 

Select stores will be open during this event such as Pure Vitality, Art Reach, Downtown Drugs, Trillium and For Arts Sake. 

"We hope the block party will celebrate all there is in downtown Mount Pleasant and be an opportunity to reinvigorate the community after a few long years of COVID-19 and lockdowns," Jennifer said. 

For its general operations, Sleepy Dog Books will be closed on Mondays. The store will be open Tuesdays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and on Sundays from 12-5 p.m.

For more information or online book orders, visit Sleepy Dog Books' website.