Salmon named Coach of the Year, four Chippewas earn softball MAC honors

20220409-img-1815
General cap: CMU Softball takes the win against Northern Illinois Huskies, Saturday, April 9, at Margo Jonker Stadium. With a clean sweep of 4-0, the overall team's record stands at 15-15. Photo cap: Head Coach, McCall Salmon, congratulating Michaleigh Vallimont for her triple play, Saturday, April 9.

Central Michigan softball head coach McCall Salmon was named Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year alongside four of her players who earned spots on the conference's first or second teams.

Caitlyn Britton and Shannon Stein were named All-MAC First Team, while Abbey Tolmie and Grace Lehto earned spots on the All-MAC second team. 

Britton is in her sophomore season as a designated hitter and pitcher. Hailing from Lake Villa, Illinois, she has 11 homers on the season with thirty-nine RBI's, with both stats ranking sixth in the MAC. 

Stein, a senior first baseman from Albuquerque, New Mexico ranks second in the MAC with 17 home runs. Stein ranks in the top 10 the MAC in batting average, slugging percentage, hits, runs, RBI, doubles and OPS. She set new program records for home runs and doubles (19).

Tolmie, a sophomore center fielder from Clarkston and a repeat second-team honoree, has led the line up all season. She ranks second on the team with a .407 on-base percentage and is ranked top 10 in the MAC in runs scored, hits, doubles and triples. 

Lehto, an Eaton Rapids native, is in her sophomore season. She has struck out 154 batters while walking 52. Throwing four shutouts this season, she is ranked top-10 in the MAC in ERA, wins, strikeouts and innings pitched. 

In Salmons third year at the helm, she has led the team to their most victories since they went 37-15 in 2017.