CMU baseball's Taylor to compete at MLB Draft combine

20220423-img-8693
Sophomore pitcher, Andrew Taylor, winding up for the pitch at Theunissen Stadium against Akron.

Central Michigan right-handed pitcher Andrew Taylor will get a chance to show off his skills alongside many top prospects during the MLB Draft Combine. 

Taylor will be one of more than 250 prospects to travel to Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres, to compete in front of scouts from all 30 MLB teams from June 15-18. As part of the experience, participants will be able to interview with representatives of big league clubs. There will also be workouts along with strength and conditioning assessments for prospects. 

MLB Network will provide television coverage of the Combine from June 16-17. 

In three seasons at CMU, Taylor emerged as one of the top college pitchers. After his first season was shut down due to the COVID pandemic, he was a Freshman All-American after his first full season in 2021. He also named the Mid-American Conference Pitcher of the Year following that year. 

Though he didn't earn the same accolades in 2022, he was just as good. He was named First Team All-MAC following the season and narrowly lost out to Ball State's Tyler Schweitzer for the MAC's Pitcher of the Year honor. 

Taylor is currently at the top of several categories in the CMU record book. After breaking the school's single season strikeout record in 2021, he reset the bar in 2022 with 126. In all, he ranks sixth place all-time with 261 strikeouts. 

Currently, the hard-throwing righty is ranked as the No. 91 overall college prospect according to D1Baseball

The MLB Draft is scheduled for July 17-19 in Los Angeles.