Coppin State transfer Jesse Zarzuela verbally commits to CMU men's basketball

coppinstate-zarzuela-jesse-50

Tony Barbee has made another addition to his backcourt heading into the 2022-23 season, this time through the transfer portal. 

Jesse Zarzuela, a rising junior guard who last played at Coppin State, announced his verbal commitment to CMU Tuesday in a tweet. Zarzuela had been on campus during the previous weekend for an official visit, according to his twitter. He will have two seasons of eligibility.

In his lone season at Coppin State, Zarzuela averaged 14.7 points per game. He had four separate games of 20-plus points while pouring in a season-high 27 against North Carolina Central on March 11. Coppin State advanced to the championship game of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament before falling to Norfolk State. 

Zarzuela shot 37% percent from the field in 2021-22, while hitting from beyond the arc at a 30-percent clip. He missed nine consecutive games during the season before returning in the MEAC tournament and playing his way onto the MEAC's All-Tournament Team. 

Before Coppin State, he spent the previous season at Missouri State-West Plains. The transfer joins a recruiting class that is heavy on freshmen, with just one other upperclassmen transfer to this point in East Florida State College forward Markus Harding.