CMU OF Jakob Marsee drafted by San Diego Padres in sixth round of MLB Draft

doubleheader-game-2-2
Sophomore outfielder Jakob Marsee runs after getting a hit on Saturday, May 7, at Theunissen Stadium.

Make it two Central Michigan Chippewas drafted in the top six rounds of the 2022 Major League Baseball Draft. 

The San Diego Padres selected Chippewa outfielder Jakob Marsee in the sixth round, No. 180 overall, Monday. Marsee joins right-handed pitcher Andrew Taylor, who was picked in the second round by the Houston Astros in the early hours Monday as the last pick of the Draft's first night. 

According to MLB's Draft Tracker, the pick comes with an approximate slot value of $286,300.

Marsee spent three seasons as a Chippewa. His first season was cut short due to the COVID-pandemic, but the following two saw the Allen Park native emerge as an everyday hitter. 

Over his final two seasons, Marsee started a total of 122 games and was part of a Chippewa team that won a Mid-American Conference regular season title (2021), a MAC tournament title (2022) and a total of three NCAA Tournament games over two years. 

Marsee hit a total of 12 home runs, while driving in 101 runs and maintaining a career .310 batting average. In 2022, he was a First Team All-MAC selection after hitting .345 with seven home runs and 66 RBI. 

His ability to hit is his calling card, a skill that scouts have found attractive. 

Leading up to the Draft, Prospects Live had him listed as its No. 314 overall prospect

"Hitterish outfielder who displayed consistently elite contact rates and chase rates in his three years at Central Michigan," reads his profile published on Prospects Live. "A thick, strong-bodied outfielder, Marsee is a decent runner who's likely destined for a corner role at the next level. He's got an average-to-above average arm that profiles fine at any spot. Marsee has fringe average power, though he continues to get stronger and has shown the ability to pull and lift the baseball. Scouts like the hit tool quite a bit here." 

Marsee is the first Chippewa hitter drafted since Zavier Warren was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the third round of the 2020 MLB Draft.